Replace my Berning ZH-270?

Hi,

I have a Joule LA150 MkII preamp and a Dave Berning ZH-270 running into a pair of Merlin VSM Mx speakers.

Could I poll some views on a theoretical question: if I were to keep my preamp, what power amps do you think I should consider to pair with my LA150? Or are there any members here who have done this move and if so what amps did you buy and why??

All the best,

MontyW
montywoo

Showing 2 responses by allanbhaganinfo

Just a couple things to check, if your attenuator clicks when you turn it, make sure your attenuator is set to about 4pm when using a pre-amp, the manual says 12 or 1 but that's for the unit that does not click when you turn it.

Also, carefully look at your input tubes, be careful of too many Telefunkens or Siemens, they can be on the lean side, look at cableing as well, silver is not where you want to be with this set up, nor unshielded IC's

The ZH-270 is DC coupled, so bass cannot be matched by any transformer coupled amp.

But if change is what you want, drop me a note privately, I'll be more than happy to buy your amp :)
Audiofeil is absolutely correct, I use silver myself but the big BP does not recommend silver with his speakers. It takes careful selection of cables for these speakers, BP likes Cardas.

A note here on this, it's not silver or copper but how the cable is designed, shielding and how it's handled is an important part of a high bandwidth system