fuses - the $39 ones or the 85 cent ones

My Rogue Cronus recently blew a slow blow fuse. I was surfing to find a replacement. The stock fuse is a typical metal end cap, glass and "wire" fuse. The audio emporiums only seemed to offer these $39 German gold plated end wunderkinds. I finally found "normal" fuses from a guitar amp site. Has anyone tried the uber fuses and found the sound better? Hard to understand how it could be. Thanks for any thoughts.
joe_in_seattle
Why surprised that price/performance are not related?
A current 25000$ Honda Accord handily outdoes the same price car from the dawn of Acura...the 25000$ Legend.
More features, safer, as quick or quicker, better economy.
The works. And that is before I count 22 years of inflation!
That's a deal!
I have a 10 Euro note on my shelf.....I can dream, can't I?
It cost about 8$ and is now worth about 15$.
I wish I had invested BigTime.
Mt Isanchez- Personally, I've never seem the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses recommended for use in speaker systems. They have always been tried in locations that provide voltage to power supplies(AC) or tubes/transistors(DC) and been shown to provide substantial sonic gains in those locations. Since I never drive my gear into clipping, and trust it's reliability implicitly: I've replaced my Maggies' tweeter fuses with 10A's (if I'd had 20's on hand....)and am experiencing a much better clarity from my high freq. panels. No surprise there! Just much bigger conductors in the heavier rated fuses. That had occured to me before trying the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses in my Cary monoblocks, but the difference the fuses made in my Carys spurred me on to make the change in my Maggies. I'm still wondering why I didn't try it after upgrading my crossovers, or perhaps bi-passing the fuses altogether(In over 40 years of audio, I've never personally experienced a tweeter failure).
Since the site won't allow me to edit my post: I'll add that the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, at $39.00 a pop, to me represent a bargain when I consider the increase in sound quality they deliver.
Agreed with Rodman. My Counterpoint NP100 uses 5 fuses, 1 for AC and 4 for rails. The sonic improvement from these Hi-Fi Tuning fuses is substantial. I can't remember anything close to $200 that has yielded this much improvement.
Thanks for sharing your experience with fuses and the Maggies. It's quite useful. I'll try other fuse values if my setup allows it.

I certainly agree that the HiFi-Tuning fuses will increase the sound quality. In some instances, one has to spend way, way more than $40 to achieve the the improvements that the HiFi-Tuning fuses provide. My point is that, in my particular case, I can achieve greater sound quality increase for $1.2 per fuse.

Also, I personally don't feel comfortable using a fuse that's not UL listed. Not having UL listing is not that uncommon for some hi-fi gear, but I find a fuse to be too critical for me to overlook the accreditation.