What is a passive preamp?

My impression, it`s a linestage pre. without a phono section, and/or tone controls. Is this correct?
pmm
But there are preamps with no gain that are not passive.

There can be active buffering without gain, so the "no-gain" thing is not what defines what's passive or not.
It's not really a preamp without a phono stage. And it can't really be called a preamp if it doesn't pre-amplify. It would really be a passive linestage.
preamp means "before the amplifier."

Those who think a passive preamp shouldn't be called that because it doesn't amplify don't understand the English language.

Active preamps and passive preamps all come "before the amplifier" so the nomenclature is correct.
Actually "preamplifier" Means, "an amplifier before" something else, just as "pre-driver" means a transistor or tube that drives (provides a gain stage) before an output stage. Obviously- A preamplifier would be placed BEFORE a power amplifier, and provide gain for signals too weak to drive an amplifier on their own. Having a phono stage has nothing to do with it being termed a, "preamplifier", as a phono stage is a pre-preamplifier in and of itself(providing gain and EQ to industry standards). Whether it provides gain or not has EVERYTHING to do with the term. No unit can correctly be termed, "passive" and "preamplifier" at the same time, as passive connotes, "not active," as in, "no active circuitry." That would be an oxymoron(like "jumbo shrimp", "freezer burn", "deafening silence"). Most signal sources(CD players, tuners, tape decks, etc.) can provide sufficient line-level voltage(1.5V to 2V+) to properly drive the amplifier of average gain/sensitivity to a satisfactory output level(subjectively). HOWEVER: recorded material varies widely in the level with which it's recorded. While my CD player will put out up to 2.5V balanced, some material I have(some Sheffield Labs, MFSL) was recorded at a level so low that it is not listenable without gain(thus my giving up my Placette Passive Linestage and returning to active pre-amplification). "Linestage" connotes providing the ability to switch between sources, and again- to contain circuitry that provided voltage/current gain to the signal(which necessitates a power supply) precludes it from being, "passive." Tone controls/equalizers can be passive or active, again depending on whether they contain a power supply(active circuit) to provide gain within their bandwidth, or all passive(resistors, capacitors, inductors) components. Some passives have a power supply to facilitate a remote control, but there's no connection within the signal path. I'm certain this little treatise will generate a multitude of replies by those that enjoy engaging in semantic gymnastics. Of course: The dictionary has been ammended to contain things like, "ain't" and "irregardless" to cater to those that know no better. I'll pass on that game as well.