bad match?- Totem Model1's and NEW 20.1

I have Totem Model 1"s (biwire, not signature), an NEW 20.1 (single ended class A solid state). Rega Planet, Audio Research SP9. I find the system anaemic, not much low end and especially not at low volumes. I know they are both reasonably good budget pieces of equipment in their own right but the amp I believe is way under powered for the Totems. I think my options include getting some horns like those from the horn shoppe as I expect they may sing with the NEW, or I could get a Storm sub or get a new amp, with I presume at least 100w. What are your thoughts?
christopher_h
The Model 1 isn't the weak point. I've used the Totem Model 1 signatures and they will rise to the occasion depending on what you use to drive it. Just before I retired it to a home theatre system, they were sounding pretty amazing through a AR/BAT/Krell system. The Dynaudio mid/bass driver is difficult with impedance listed at 4ohms. But in fact is goes down as low as 3.6 in the upper bass. So in order to get more bass out of the speaker, you need to look at high current amps that are able to drive the speaker to let it do it's stuff. When I upgraded from a Classe CA100 to a Krell KSA200s the perceived bass doubled.

Or you can move it around the room to see if it's a room node issue.
Thanks for your responses. I decided to keep the Totem Model 1's and deal with the amp and preamp issue. I just purchased a used Unison Research Unico hybrid integrated. 80w. I am much happier but will I ever be truly happy? The fun is in the chase I fear. With the Unico... more bass both in terms of weight and extension. Bigger soundstage, more air around instruments and voices. More palpable. Interestingly, I found that there appeared to be a little less high freq extension compared to the NEW/SP-9 combo, the type of thing I would adjust if I had a "treble control". I switched from zip cord to Kimber 4PR. I have a 25' run and could not really afford right now to get better cable at that length. The change to 4PR had a fairly dramatic effect overall and gave me a little more high frequency extension and "sparkle". But I would still like a bit more. I have a 1st gen Rega planet and thought I could get a better interconnect or maybe change the 12au7 tubes. What tube would be brighter? It came with Phillps tubes. I may also get the Model 1's upgraded to signatures as a possible next step. There are also a couple of professional modification packages for the Unico that have recieved favourable reviews on 6moons...when will it end!
Kimber 4TC will give you what the 4PR is not. Talk to Andy at Vintage Tube Services and buy the top tubes he recommends. They will be worth every penny. What interconnects are you running?
Thanks Steuspeed
I will call Gary at Vintage. For an interconnect I am using a custom made twisted pair using cardas wire. I was thinking of going with 4TC but I need about 50' so I was not sure if this would be the best use of $.

Chris
The 4TC has the teflon jacket which makes all the difference. Another high value option would be DH Labs T-14. This is silver plated copper with teflon jacket, so it will bring out the highs even more. I would upgrade your tubes first and then tweek the sound with cables from there. Post a new thread with your desires at that time.