Tube lingo question

I'm not a tube component owner yet but am going to be in the very near future hopefully with a new preamp. My question is regarding the terms microphonics and tube rush as they relate to the sound. What are they and what do they ultimately do to the sound. Thanks.
gjames
Good explanation.

You really have to admire someone who single-handedly is setting out to reshape the English language. My hat is ophph to you.
Herman, I'm with you. Everyone knows ph sounds quite different than f -- you even shape your lips differently ;-))
Thanks for the explaination. If you have a highly microphonic pre-amp, will that have a negative impact when playing music or is it just a phenomenon that is notice when tapping the tube when not playing music?
Herman--TY. :-)

Gjames: "If you have a highly microphonic pre-amp (sic)...". Well, equipment very seldom is microfonic; TUBES are. So...if the tubes in a preamp* are highly microfonic, it probably is virtually unlistenable, with LOTS of ringing and banging in the signal. Of course it depends on how high 'highly' is.

The audibility of both tube rush/hiss and microfonics is proportional to how much a tube's input is amplified by itself and subsequent gain stages and by the sensitivity of the speaker. That's why, for instance, owners of high-sensitivity speakers have more trouble with these tube faults than others and why manufacturers such as Quicksilver and Music Reference make low-gain amps.

* It's preamp and preamplifier and not pre-amp or pre-amplifier.
owners of high-sensitivity speakers

Note to the language police:

It's high sensitivity not high-sensitivity, but since sensitivity is a noun it can't be used to describe another noun. It should be highly sensitive speakers or speakers with high sensitivity.

Also, if you are after the ph in microphonic why not the gh in high :>)