Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblock amplifier

Does anyone have any information on this amp?
Does it run hot?
How will it match up with a VTL 2.5 tube pre-amp?
Are there any particular characteristics to its sounds...i.e, warm, transparent, etc?

Thanks in advance.
adman227
The Parasound JC-1 monoblocks are wonderful! I use them in conjunction with a Tube Research Labs modified Marantz SA-14 SACD/CD player, Aesthetix Calypso tube preamplifier and a pair of Wilson-Benesch Discovery loudspeakers.

The JC-1 solid state amplifier combines the warmth/sweetness of tubes along with the bass control of solid state. Stereophile measured this amplifier outputting 4200Watts into a 1 ohm load so it is a brute.

They sound best in high-bias mode which generates a fair amount of heat. If you have a large room, this will not be a problem. With a smaller room it may be an issue. In my room 12.5X16.5, the temperature got quite warm, especially in summer. You can reduce heat generation by keeping the amplifiers in low-bias mode and only switch to high-bias mode for serious listening. I ended up moving the amplifiers to a basement shelf, directly underneath the preamplifier (on the main floor) which solved any heat generation issues. However I know of others who absolutely loved the amplifiers but couldn't handle the heat generation and ended up selling.

The amplifiers are special, so make an attempt to accommodate them.

Steve
Sit them on the single amp stand, you will not have any issue but is it hot? yes it is but the sound of jc1 is amazing and you will greatly appreciate the the sound comparing with the money pay.
Steve is referring to me (he now owns my JC-1s). In a smaller room and with summer temperatures, they can become a little unbearable especially since there are two of them dispensing heat. They do sound exceptional with a tube preamp (Aesthetix Calypso for me as well), but this only adds to the heat generation. Thus, you must have excellent air flow, blast the air conditioning, or have a really large room where the heat can quickly disperse.

But if you CAN accomodate, you will be GREATLY pleased.

The bass control of these is absolutely amazing and something I haven't been able to find in any other amplifier. The way the amp controls the woofer with piston like precision adds new depth and realism to the presentation.

In my dream system, I'd have these amps. If I had the (dedicated) ROOM for my dream system, that is. :)