Any Comparisons between VTL 7.5 & ARC Ref 3

Anyone do a detailed comparison of either. Anyone compare the VTL 7.5 Mk II to the ARC Ref 3?? Got the upgrade bug.
dgad
If a component at that level is throwing noise into a system I would be p*ssed. I would look to the electrical before I looked to the component anyway.

I personally haven't had the please to ad a 7.5 to my system, but I can say my 5.5 quieted things down for me.
I believe Shane Buettner sold his original VTL7.5 to buy a REF3 about 1.5 years ago. I chatted with him when he had his VTL up for sale on AG and I know he ended up with a REF3 shortly thereafter.

I bought a brand new VTL 7.5 and used it for about a year. During that time period, I borrowed a REF3 (the upgraded version) from a local shop and used it in my system for about a week. I was using a Reimyo CD Player & Vandersteen 5A Speakers. I felt that both preamps produced wonderful sound, but I preferred the VTL 7.5. In my system, the REF3 added noticeable “bass boost” and seemed to just slightly add exaggerated sparkle on the top end. I preferred the “softer” sound of the VTL that I would describe as more accurate and/or natural (assuming such a thing really exists outside of my head).

Additionally, I had spent SIGNIFICANT time tweaking/fighting the VTL and found running it as VTL recommends works best. Valhalla PC directly to the wall outlet and sitting on a good isolation rack. I used the VTL for several months running into a Nordost Thor and this proved to be a bad thing. I mentioned this to the Nordost guys once at a demo, that convo did not go to well… I found that running the VTL into the Thor (and 4 other power conditioners I own) produced a very noticeable cold, flat and pretty much lifeless sound. I have heard many guys here on AG describe the VTL exactly that way and I wonder if the units they were using were running into power conditioners.

With the REF3, I plugged it directly into a wall outlet, using a mid level AudioQuest PC. I did not play with it anymore then this and I would agree that it would be possible to make subtle changes to its sound via tweaks, so yes, your mileage will vary.

About 10 months ago, I bought a new CD Player that has a built in volume control, a highly modified Esoteric UX-1. After a very short time, it was obvious that this Esoteric player sounds best with no preamp and thus I was able to sell my VTL 7.5. I really liked the VTL 7.5 while it was in my system and it worked 100% flawlessly from day one, which I can not say about the majority of high end gear I have owned.
Billbench, your description of the sound of the VTL 7.5 is consistent with my early findings a couple of years ago on a 7.5 version 1. I did find its presentation very tuneful with 'soft' treble and -- to me at least -- slightly deemphasized transient leading edges. I admit I do prefer the presentation of the Ref 3 equipped with 6550C in the power supply, admittedly because of its comparative slight sparkle at the top and slight more authority at the bottom. Did you use a VTL version 1 or 2? I understand the 7.5 V2 is rather similar to the 6.5 V2, which instead I do like very much.
Billbench. You must have the 2.5. Did or are you going to upgrade to the "T"?
Frank
There is no question the 7.5 is a different (better IMO) preamp completely than the ARC Ref3. Too often they are mentioned in comparison to one another, not sure why completely. The 7.5 is a different animal altogether, from price point to form factor.

I think as far as tubed preamps go, the buck stops with the 7.5 hands down.