Any Comparisons between VTL 7.5 & ARC Ref 3

Anyone do a detailed comparison of either. Anyone compare the VTL 7.5 Mk II to the ARC Ref 3?? Got the upgrade bug.
dgad

Showing 6 responses by jc51373

If a component at that level is throwing noise into a system I would be p*ssed. I would look to the electrical before I looked to the component anyway.

I personally haven't had the please to ad a 7.5 to my system, but I can say my 5.5 quieted things down for me.
There is no question the 7.5 is a different (better IMO) preamp completely than the ARC Ref3. Too often they are mentioned in comparison to one another, not sure why completely. The 7.5 is a different animal altogether, from price point to form factor.

I think as far as tubed preamps go, the buck stops with the 7.5 hands down.
What about what I wrote is confusing??? Now I am confused...To be clearer for you, the comparison of these two preamps is imbalanced from the start. A more fair and equitable comparison would be the aforementioned 6.5 to the ARC, not the 7.5. The 6.5 is about 80% (according to VTL) of the 7.5, which is about what I attributed to the Ref3 in my auditions when comparing to the 7.5.

The 7.5 sounds light years better to my ear, and the 6.5 is on a more even footing to the Ref3.
Also, you should know the PS in the ARC Ref 3 is Hybrid not pure tube. Dgad was correct.