experience with Threshold SA/2e or S/500 amps?

does anybody have experience with the older threshold sa/2e monoblocks or S/500 stereo amp? either owning the amps or in comparisions to new amps like: classe, mcintosh, pass labs? i will be using them to drive a pair of Totem Mani 2's. The SA/2e's are rated at 100 watts class A which might be a little low on power for the mani's. I have never owned a pure class A amp and maybe these amps have the necessary erserve power for the mani's. the s/500 would have enough power but they are a class a/b amp. i'm looking for an amp that are warm sounding with enough power to control the mani's. any thoughts?
rbstehno
Funny that this thread popped up again. I been recently thinking about it. Perhaps, the extended frequency range caused me to dismiss the warmth aspect of the S/500 Series II. In retrospect it does have a touch of warmth. Regarding the proper load, most Threshold's are recommended for loads above 4 Ohms. That said, they are tested into loads below that and probably shouldn't have much difficulty with lower impedances.
My former loudspeakers had an impedance of 1,9 Ohm at some 87 Hz. The Threshold didn't have any problem with it, even when playing loud. It also drives my current Apogees with ease, so I wouldn't worry about the load.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. i was in a bind and i wanted to get opinions on how these amps sounded. i was in the middle of purchasing a preamp and i didn't have any means to demo the threshold amps so i wanted to turn to all of you for input on how these amps sounded. when i went back to purchase the monoblocks, they already sold them. I ended up purchasing all classe seperates.
thanks
Thanks for the follow up, It's always nice to know where these things end up. Good luck with the Classe'.
I would not have gone Classe', even though you could send them to Jon Soderberg for improvements. I was going to suggest an S/500 with a trip to Jon's.