The Best Amp for the Price of Dirt

The Berringer a 500 Reference Amp that can be purchased on Musican's Friend web site for 194.00( each) to your house in the US of A w/ a 2 year warranty is a KILLER. I have several amps and these are scarey. Granted they were designed overseas & built in China... However, they are 19lbs GIANTS . Don't take my word go to the "Audio Critic" web site for a full review. This is my one an only give-away . Use it or loose it. Best to 'All
crem1
I guess we're still waiting for someone to come out with a decently-built, usefully powerful, compact, lightweight ... class-"D" ... amplifier
How about a kit: hypex sells them (.nl I think).
Creml,
The A500 was reviewed in Hi Fi World December 2006.

To quote-
"Unlike hi fi amps the A500 suffers considerable crossover distortion even in the midband...whilst it measured 0.14% at 1 watt1kHz this figure rose to an unacceptable level of 1% at 1 watt 10kHz....this is classic crossover distortion in large quantities and it will be clearly audible as a roughening of the treble."

Their Verdict-
"Versatile and very powerful amplifier for next to no money,but needs careful matching to assuage distortion.

I am no Behringer knocker.I own a DCX 2496 myself.

For the little the amps cost,and their power output,expecting them to be near perfect is probably expecting just too much.Doesn't mean in the right system they can't produce pleasant sounds though.
Jtgofish: Thanks for the information & verdict.

I try to read as much as possible & listen to audio gear whenever time allows. I make the attempt to educate myself by reading various magazines and online. Just because read a lot of opinions doesn't mean I agree, but I do read them. Lately, I have also taken to meeting some analog designers in homes of friends , something a bit different . Audio has been my hobby for 30+ years.

I agree with your conclusion -- the Behringer's need careful matching and common sence. So far I have not experienced the distortion issue , perhaps because I use them as mono blocks at lesser wattage . For me they were a surprize, sweet beautiful music. For next to no money (out of the box) they are a value. Enjoy the Music. PS what's the US Amp.Union all about?
I agree, it's a j-o-k-e ... To enjoy music , playback and share a word on gear that might, just might make a difference to someone without the big $$$$ . As for dirt, I see a dirth of excellent gear resting on White Elephant Tables all for the want of a fuse. Talk about a j-o-k-e !

One underlying idea presented in "Dirt" was the notion that these new , China made / Euro designed products MAY fill a niche in the consumer audio-market. And , that of the China made units the 500's presented more value.

Personally, I'm a valve person, however, the 500's found a place in my Rig as has Coda, ARC and a few others. With exception of some exceptional second-hand buys made over the years, the 500's (inter-net priced) are a bargin. Matching & Common-Sence required by the end-user , be that The Joker , Batman or JQ.