Trying to extract more from my Vandersteen

I've come to the realization that my ideal system is always 2 steps ahead of whatever my current system is. I am only satisfied with whatever updgrade for a few months, before I convince myself that I need to upgrade again. This is as exciting as it is unsettling.

My current system is as follows:
Vandersteen 2CE sig
McCormack DNA-1 deluxe
TAD-150 sig tube preamp
Eastern Electric Minimax tube CDP
Blue circle Power cords
MIT IC's and speaker cables

I had spent the past two years building this current system, and I had been fairly happy with it. I thank this system for introducing me to the world of jazz. Switching to tubes really helped my Vandersteens "sing". I had entertained the thought of replacing the McCormack with a tube amp, such as TAD-60 or other equivalent, but I never did. I was happy with my system and figured it would remain intact for awhile.

Then something had to rain on my happiness or complaceny. Due to a busy work schedule, I was forced to do most of my music listening either in my office through my old NHT and all rotel setup or at home through my Sennheiser headphones. After a couple months of this, I finally had time to do some listening through my main system. It had never been apparent to me before, but all the music coming out of the Vandersteens sounded "veiled". Before, I purchased my vandies, I read and heard all the criticisms regarding this "veiled" or "shrouded" sound. I never felt this was true about my vandersteen's until now.

So instead of making generalizations, I figure this is a good opportunity to "improve" my system. I am still more than happy with the soundstage, midrange clarity, and bass dynamics. Perhaps what I want to improve is higher frequency extension.

All this being said, I welcome all recommendations and comments that need not be limited to the following topics:

tube-rolling...

Pre-amp...
Any recommendations on pre-amps (tube or SS)?
How about a passive unit (Sonic Euphoria, Placette, Mccormack TLC)?

cables...
anyone recommend Purist?

Amp...
Any good integrated's out there?
What do you think about the Eastern Electric Integrated?
How about Krell KAV 400xi? For that matter, how does Krell match with Vandersteens?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your comments.

Drew
drewyou
I have the Vandy 3 Sigs. I've had various McCormack amps on them.. 0.5, then a pair of 0.5's, then a 1 RevA Gold with every update. Then I tried a Channel Islands D200. It was like the speakers had a blanket over it the whole time and then removed. Sold the McCormack and never looked back. I don't know about other class D amps, but for me this is the right combination. They are capable of much more. I don't think cables alone will bring that out.
I have heard the McCormack DNA 0.5 and 1, both Deluxe and non-Deluxe versions. While a good amp with a nice bottom end and good dynamics, I felt that it was a little rolled-off in the highs. I own a Vandersteen 3A Signature and confirm that the setup is very difficult for these speakers. I would expect the same with the 2CE's. Tilt-back is very important and it will take a considerable trial and error before you get things right. I agree with the strategy of making the cheaper changes first: setup, then cables, then amp, then speaker. I think interconnect between preamp and power amp is more important than speaker cables. As far as speaker cables are concerned, I like Kimber 4TC. It is a bargain and if you don't like it, you can resell it easily. It is very neutral and full-range and I've used it with very good equipment and it doesn't seem to lack for transparency, smoothness, or anything else. Also, don't forget the power cord on the amp. Sometimes, this can breathe life into a system which is too dark. Also, upgrades to this amp by Steve McCormack are widely purported to take the amp to another level. You could consider the upgrade path, assuming Steve McCormack is still in that business. There are plenty of posts on what upgrade levels are available and what the sonic benefits of each are. This might be cheaper than buying a considerably better amp. Since your budget is kind of limited, check on the cost of the upgrade and what this does to the resale price of the amp. My recollection is that you might be able to get the price of the upgrade back in reselling the amp, or at least that was nearly so a few years ago. If amp replacement is on tap, it would be great if you could borrow some equipment before committing to making any purchase.Don't be afraid to move the speakers around after each change.
I replaced the MIT 2 biwires with Kimber 8TC (shotgunned and biwired). The sound improved tremendously. In comparison the MIT's were in fact darker sounding, perhaps contributing to the "veiled" sound. The Kimber really opened up the music. Hi-end extention was greatly improved, and the bass tigthend up as well. These cables are definitely more forward-sounding for lack of a better description.

I moved my system to the short wall. The room is approx. 25X15. I also reset the tweeter and woofer contours back down to 0db on the vandersteens. To my ears this setting seems to best complement my system with the room.

So after 6 months of pondering, researching, listening, and necessary (financially affordable) adjustments I am now pretty happy with my system. The Vandy's can sound "veiled", but I think after my little journey here in the past few months, I realized that with the right setup and proper matching, they can be made to reproduce wonderfully clear and dynamic music.

Now I am thinking to...
add a 2WQ subwoofer to my system, maybe in a stereo setup. Woundn't that be nice...
Drewyou - Now that you have them sounding better, which connections are you using on the back of the DNA deluxe? I have the same amp and speakers and I (accidentally) found that the barrier strip connections sounded better to me than the Cardas posts. I have a true biwire set up with cables I made. I tried several permutations of connectors and putting high/low on one or the other amp connections and found that it sounded best to me with all the speaker leads connected to the barrier strips. If you're looking for one more thing to try.....