Levinson 20.5 monos - Time for a Refurb?

I bought my Mark Levinson 20.5 pure class A mono blocks new in 1990. I loved them for their sound and still do. They have been 100% reliable and I have never had them back to the Levinson or my dealer for anything.

However, they are 16 years old now and except for my Magnum Dynalab tuner, they are the only thing I have not replaced in my system.

Being pure class A amps they run pretty hot.

Question is, is it time I should consider having them checked out, refurbished, capacitors and the like replaced, etc?

If so, who should I consider for this work? Levinson? They are not what they used to be when they designed and made these amps, and I'm not sure they are up to the same quality work they did back then or whether I should trust that their parts will be as good as the original. Someone else? But who?

Has anyone been through this or does anyone have any thoughts about this they can share with me?
Ag insider logo xs@2xcipherjuris
What do you believe the life expectancy of a cap to be?

That's the $64,000 question. I don't have a strong conviction either because it is impossible to put a number on it for any given capacitor. Naim recommends 10 years. Cynics say that is just to generate revenue, Naim devotees say it is essential for maximum performance.

I would agree that in many applications they can be "reasonably serviceable" for 20 years, but most audiophiles are not going to settle for anything reasonable.

If I intended to keep my $35,000 amps and they had 16 year old electrolytics I would have them replaced
"Most audiophiles are not going to settle for anything reasonable". LOL! Makes one question how "reasonable" audiophiles are?
Isn't it true that electrolytics wear out more quickly from not be used than being used everyday?
They don't wear out but can lose capacitance sitting idle. However, once you start to use them again the capacitance builds back up.

A cap that has been sitting with no charge for too long can short out if you apply full voltage all at once. This is especially true for old caps in tube amps because they have a relatively high voltage across them. This is why you see the recommendation to form these capacitors by slowly bringing up the voltage across them when turned on for the first time after a long period of being off.
Herman,

I have a Citation II that I would like to get going again. Any advice?

thanks
Robert