Which integrated: Nait 5i, Panache or Shanling?

Ok, my eight-year-old Denon receiver died, so I finally have to pull the trigger on a new amp of some sort. I'm looking for an integrated amp in the $1,500 to $2,000 range. I'd prefer something used to save money.

I think I've finally narrowed my choice to the Naim Nait 5i, the Portal Audio Panache or the Shanling STP-80.

I have B&W 601 speakers and a cheap cd player. Both the speakers and the cd player are candidates for upgrading. Oh, this will be in a small to medium sized room.

One more thing, I namely listen to classical and jazz, though my tastes are really eclectic and I listen to lots of indie rock (but most of it isn't well-recorded...)

Thanks!!
andyrcurtis
I like the Naim Nait 5, it is a very good amplifier. However, I dont have the slightest idea how it would work with your speakers. None the less, as much I heard BW, I dont think that is an ideal speaker for classical. I would also look for a proac speaker, for example, and pair it with naim. That I think would be a nice combo, maybe better than BW with any amp.
You may want to consider the Pathos Classic One. The tubed pre-amp section would provide you some depth to your speakers and the SS power would drive then nicely. There are a few for sale here - I would go for the latest Mk3 version since it is a better unit than the Mk2. More dynamic and sweeter top-end. Good luck
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely looking into the Pathos Classic One now and the Cayin A-88T. I think I'm strongly leaning towards a tube integrated now.

As for my cd player and speakers. I plan on upgrading those too in the not-so-distance future. Right now, I'm going to get an integrated, since I have no power at all currently. Then, I'll probably upgrade my CDP (and interconnect), and finally the B&Ws (maybe not the cables right away; I have Audioquest type 4 cable that I'm pretty happy with).

Again thanks for the suggestions!
I'll second the votes for the Naim. Plug it in and enjoy - sounds wonderful. Simple, well built, lasts forever, & great resale value if you decide to upgrade.

Happy listening,
Ed
I like my Eastern electric M520 better than the shanling stp80. Especially for Jazz. It just seems more musical than the Shanling. Talk to Bill at Morning Star. I think he even has one with upgraded tubes on sale on audiogon.