Any thoughts on Music Reference RM200

I am thinking of purchasing a Music Reference RM200. They have been out for some time and I am wondering if they have changed over the years to warrant a new purchase or look for a used amp. I would be using these on Apogee Scintillas so they better be in top operating condition. I am told that they can handle a one ohm load. Any thoughts on their sonic signature would also be appreciated. Bob
128x128baranyi
I have used two rm200's with avantgarde speakers and hovland preamo. Good but not as good musically or tonally or with the realistic presence as my audio note P4 mono's now my ref. Also was not as good as my Canary ca339's (now sold), but was comparable to my Jadis JA50 mono's but only with a warm valve preamp.

The sound is transparent, fast, with good soundstaging and tone. Lacked that last bit of 300B tonal warmth and presednce and also lacked audio notes superior musicallity.

I think the Soundlabs need voltage whereas the Scintillas need current and lots of it.

Yes, that is why I stated "different animals". The Soundlabs have an impedence curve of about 40ohms in the bass and around 1(or less)ohms in the highs. The Scintilla's, well you already know.

The Presence monos are rated at 220 watts/ch @ 2ohms. There is a setting for controlling the "infinite damping factor" on the front of the 220's. The high setting for electrostats and the low setting for controlling bass on "normal" speakers. These two things lead me to believe the Wolcotts can put the sizzle in your Scintillas. (Yes, I am aware the Scintilla's impedence drops below 1ohm, but these things are built like tanks!)

Why not email [email protected] Henry and ask?

"I could be wrong, I could be right" PIL/Rise

rm200 is a really good amp but not for those speakers (though i havent tried that combo)...

imo, relability, tube amps and 1 ohm load is questionable (of the three pick 2)

apogees need a incredible amount of current to do their magic (800 to 1000 watts is not a bad place to start)
Thanks Mike for your thoughts. It is interesting that I have had such a variety of thoughts on this subject. I also posted this on the Apogee website and again the response was split. I can tell you that the H2o's drive the speaker effortlessly. I have a second pair of Scintillas that will be put into service and I thought it would be interesting to try something different. As an audiophile, I can't seem to stop trying different sources and amplification!
Baranyi you are very lucky to have apogees... they are the finest ribbon speakers that i heard of despite their age...

i can understand the difference in opinions when it comes to amplifaction on these... alot will depend on the listening levels, size of the room, and musical taste..

duetta's in a large room, were incredibly hard to drive. they really came alive (ie real bass) with large solid state amps with the volume knob at 4:00 on the preamp (it was pretty amazing)..... i have never seen a speaker that could take that much current/wattage and still sound that good...

are replacement ribbons available anywhere for them ? i would love to a get a pair and redo the crossover..