Most musical S.S. Amp under 2k used ?

i'm counting on you guys to fan the flames of this inquiry.

geez, i’m really going a lil crazy here with all this new and unexpected fervor toward this ridiculously addictive material. my girlfriends actually a bit worried about how much time i can spend on this stuff. guess the possibilities are endless. thank god i have a budget!!!!

just by studying the reviews i like what's been said about some of the krell's and mccormack's. which of these would be considered more musical overall - ksa-100, 150, 250 or dna 125, 225? what does 100 watts of krell sound like compared to 225 watts of mccormack?

other considerations: {please give feedback if you can... and remember - musical!}

PS Audio GCA-100

jeff rowland model 5

ayre v-3

edge g-5

conrad johnson - motif ms 2001

classe 201

gamut 100 mklll

arc 100.2

odyssey extreme

pass labs x-150.5

audio research 150.2

Meridian 205 100 Watts Pure Class A Mono block

Musical Fidelity A5

hosting a dear friend of 30+ years in my home in a couple of weeks and i really hope to have pulled the trigger on my upgrade amp. by then.

quite anxious to sit around the fire with my ole compadre - sippin on something smokey/peety & reminiscing... listening to tunes that helped define our youth. so looking forward to having the opportunity to hear some of our favorite music for the first time - if you catch my drift?

please help me to choose something worthwhile.

much obliged,
timtopper
not to hijack this thread, but I think that's an interesting list as well.. which of these amps would everyone consider to have the reputation of being "tube-like"?
While your list is long and I have not heard all the amps you listed, out of the ones that I have heard I would choose the DNA225. Once the upgrade bug hits again you can send it to Steve and have him upgrade it.

There is no such thing as a perfect component, no matter how much money you spend. You will always have some kind of compromise. Buy the one in your budget that meets the most important criteria to you.

Good luck.
I think that musicality is a synergy between components. That being said, amps that have good PRAT tend to be more musical to my ears than ones that are overly bloomy or overly etched. The McCormack's ( I have a near rev A DNA .5) definitely have that PRAT thing going for them, especially after mods, and most especially when paired with a good tubed preamp (I have an Audio Prism Mantissa).

What are your speakers? If they are very efficient (>90db), and you can accommodate it, I would look at some tube amps. Mine have a silk dome Scanspeak tweeter, which I find more musical overall.

In general I get comments about my system that it is not "hi-fi". All the detail is there, it's just not in your face. It's a musical sound for sure. Perhaps a tad less open on the top end than metal dome or ribbon tweeters give you. But I smile every time I listen, and the foot goes tapping very often.

Enjoy,
Bob
Though I have not heard many of the amps on your list my vote would be for the Audio Research 100.2. This amp has all the tubelike warmth and lack of grain you could ask for but will still drive reasonable loads that might give a tube amp some trouble. I have compared it directly to the 150.2, which is a radically different design, and prefer the older 100.2. These are hard to find on the A'gon because they are highly prized, but I have seen several over the years and they price in at around $1750. Good luck.
the ever musical cj ss stuff pairs well with a very wide variety of speakers.....the mccormicks are very versatle as well. the krell is a bit more unforgiving of poor sounding cd's, but has a great deal of energy even at 100 watts per channel. the paradigms are a well engineered speaker(quite accurate)....if i were you, i would go cj, though many you have listed are remarkable values