B&K ST 202+

Hello,
I am new here and I have a few questions. I have an old B&K St 202+ amp and a matching Pro 5 pre. The amp works great and in fact, it is too powerful for the PSB B25's that I used to test it. The preamp has a burned out power light and the lettering on the units is blue. The RCAs on the back of the amp are not marked and I have no way of knowing how much power there really is. These units were built by a B&K employee for my former neighbor. I do not need this much power and I am leaning toward a smaller Arcam and Rotel system in the near future. This equipment seems in pretty good shape and does it have any value? How do I know the wattage?
frisco64
I would definitely keep the 202, its an outstanding amp and will serve you well as a backup or for a 2nd system. You rarely see these for sale and for good reason, they are fantastic amps.
Vrao1,
I am finding that out. The B&K 202 sounds awesome. I live in a small loft apartment and I am using PSB Image B25's spaced about 8' apart and they are singing. I was using a Yamaha Receiver and now I put that away...no comparison. It was like some sort of divine intervention occured. I do not live far from B&K Headquarters but I never paid much attention to them. I grew up on old Marantz amps and later on NAD. This unit puts any NAD amp I had to shame. I don't know the exact year this equipment was built, but my former neighbor is friends with some B&K technicians who built this for him. The sound is very warm and transparent. I probably will sell the stuff (I am going to) and perhaps move on to McCormack. I also want to get some PSB Stratus Mini's and I will sell the B25's or put them in one of the other rooms. I wish I could trade the B&K stuff for the PSB's. I also have receivers laying around. Its funny, I walked into a showroom several months ago and almost convinced myself to purchase a Rotel RX-1052. It was the best sounding receiver I have ever heard but now I am addicted to seperates!!!
Frisco...before you take the plunge into other gear...at least do a home demo vs. your current B&K gear...you may be surprised...a good amp is good amp is regardless of vintage...and the few B&K pieces I have heard were extremely pleasing to my ears...good luck...
Phasecorrect,
Your support of the B&k gear is refreshing. If I stay in this forum, I am going to be talked into keeping everything!! Ha! The truth of the matter is that I do not possess the capital I did a year ago. I am addictive when it comes to electronics thats for sure. I used to build computers and I switched 2-3 times a year. I suppose I just want something new. I am anxious to hear some other lines. This amp does seem to be rare...at least not as plentiful as it used to be. Another thing, I do not not believe the previous owner realized what a good "music" piece this is. I used to hear him blasting heavy metal on some huge Klipsch. He didn't even know how to hook it up properly.
Frisco, first your question with the McCormack Pre. Never heard it but, if I were you and had $600 I would buy a DNA.5 and hang on to the B&K until you heard the McCormack. When I had the PT3 Series 2 and the Reference 4420, it sounded real nice. No real negatives, just lacking some dynamics and soundstage. You might even prefer the B&k, who knows. This hobby can be addictive. You buy something real nice, sounds great the first pass through your CD collection. Then you start looking for negatives and what you need to purchase to make your system sound better. So, ask yourself the question, "do I want to pursue better sound or is the sound that I now have something that I can live with and enjoy for a long time". If the answer is the first part then start the pursuit. If it is the second part then save up and buy yourself a Lexus. I can't afford a Lexus so I changed my system by reading reviews, figuring out how I could improve my system without spending big bucks and took some chances. I was fortunate enough to discover Bizzy Bee audio and take the plunge into tubes. That's a whole different ballgame. I spent less than $500 net upgrading through 5 preamps and 3 power amps until I hit the plateau (I think). Anyway, welcome to the world of Audiogon and all the possibilities that you can do with this website.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed as to your direction...
Eagleman