B&K ST 202+

Hello,
I am new here and I have a few questions. I have an old B&K St 202+ amp and a matching Pro 5 pre. The amp works great and in fact, it is too powerful for the PSB B25's that I used to test it. The preamp has a burned out power light and the lettering on the units is blue. The RCAs on the back of the amp are not marked and I have no way of knowing how much power there really is. These units were built by a B&K employee for my former neighbor. I do not need this much power and I am leaning toward a smaller Arcam and Rotel system in the near future. This equipment seems in pretty good shape and does it have any value? How do I know the wattage?
frisco64

Showing 16 responses by frisco64

Thats funny. What a sick world we live in!!! What would our excuse be? That's it, we can blame the world for our troubles!!! Ha!
Stickers11,

I hope you are enjoying the amp. I kind of regret selling mine over the new year. It is a wonderful amp, but I have no idea how much more power it would draw vs a 140...probably not too much. When I had mine, my apartment lights would flicker on occasion. What are you using for a pre?
Stickers11,

The B&K 10MC is a wonderful preamp, and they show up on Audiogon on occasion. Another fantastic pre, is the Acurus RL11. Both of these preamps are very good sounding, and many people will tell you that they sound as good as the much more expensive units. I have an Acurus Act 1 that is superb. McCormack males some excellent preamps too, they sound something like B&K. There is one listed now I think that you may like.
Phasecorrect,
Your support of the B&k gear is refreshing. If I stay in this forum, I am going to be talked into keeping everything!! Ha! The truth of the matter is that I do not possess the capital I did a year ago. I am addictive when it comes to electronics thats for sure. I used to build computers and I switched 2-3 times a year. I suppose I just want something new. I am anxious to hear some other lines. This amp does seem to be rare...at least not as plentiful as it used to be. Another thing, I do not not believe the previous owner realized what a good "music" piece this is. I used to hear him blasting heavy metal on some huge Klipsch. He didn't even know how to hook it up properly.
Artizen65,
I keep hearing about Bryston, and I am looking around Audigon and I see some great deals. In your opinion, just how much better is Bryston than the rest of the pack? I am speaking in terms of sonic quality of course, as well as clarity and refinement. I just split up with my longtime girl and she has the house and some of the equipment (NAD)but I managed to escape with my speakers. I am on a budget and if I could swing a Bryston Amp and Pre for $1500 I may go that way. I like the B&K equipment but I would have to sell it first before moving on. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with other it than the Pro5 lamp is burned out and smudge on the 202 I caused while trying to get off a Gumby sticker.
Hello,
As much as I like the B&K Amp and Preamp, I am looking to get some newer equipment. I have a feeling the power is closer to 200 watts like you said. I like power in the 100 watt range and I would like to get an Arcam A65 to use as a preamp with a Rotel Power amp. I live in a loft apartment with neighbors downstairs. I don't live far from B&K headquarters and I may take it in for a checkup. I understand the benefits of headroom but I am more into music clarity and sound. There is a small smudge on the amps faceplate because I tried to remove a cartoon sticker someone had put on the amp. I know one thing, the Yamaha receiver I was using is going in storage!!! I will probably sell everything.
I have only heard Rotel Once, and when I did it was in a local showroom with some B&W 602 S3's. It was actually an Rx-1052 Receiver. Maybe its just the nice look of the Rotel and Arcam equipment I like though, I hear Arcam is much better than Rotel. I am finding out just how good sounding this B&K is. I am playing a test CD with various songs and its clear as day. I am using PSB Image B25's and the volume is not even at 9 O'clock!!! It sounds like Stevie Ray Vaughn is in the apartment. Diana Krall appears to be at center stage!!! The only reason I want to unload the stuff is to buy some newer equipment. The Pro 5 does sound good and when I hooked it up to a Yamaha receiver it made the music much clearer and the mud disappeared. Perhaps I will sell the stuff on here...it does sound awesome.
I am not sure about the McCormack. Keep looking for the B&k, because they pop up. How much are you willing to spend? There are other companies too.
Eagleman6722,
You know, I have never even heard of McCormack, but I checked the website and the internet and everyone is raving about them. Man, maybe I have found a new pursuit!!!Getting back to the B&K 202, one thing I have noticed is that it is indeed very warm and up front with its presentation. As old as this amp may be, it certainly seems dignified...proud of itself. Thats a good thing. I have always liked PSB Speakers and I used to power them with NAD. This morning with the B&K they were singing for their supper. They are good with low frequencies but I do not want to push them too far with a potential 200 watt amp. I am going to find a good home for the B&K units and check out McCormack or Bryston. What is your opinion of Bryston vs McCormack Eagleman? Do you mind if I ask?
Eagleman6722,
Thanks for your feedback. I have read several reviews of the DNA 0.5 and If I get one, that may be enough for now. They seem to make wonderful preamps also. This B&K equipment sounds good in its own right, so I can imagine the McCormack sounding even better. What are your thoughts on using a McCormack pre with a B&K amp? That is of course If I don't sell this 202.
Vrao1,
I am finding that out. The B&K 202 sounds awesome. I live in a small loft apartment and I am using PSB Image B25's spaced about 8' apart and they are singing. I was using a Yamaha Receiver and now I put that away...no comparison. It was like some sort of divine intervention occured. I do not live far from B&K Headquarters but I never paid much attention to them. I grew up on old Marantz amps and later on NAD. This unit puts any NAD amp I had to shame. I don't know the exact year this equipment was built, but my former neighbor is friends with some B&K technicians who built this for him. The sound is very warm and transparent. I probably will sell the stuff (I am going to) and perhaps move on to McCormack. I also want to get some PSB Stratus Mini's and I will sell the B25's or put them in one of the other rooms. I wish I could trade the B&K stuff for the PSB's. I also have receivers laying around. Its funny, I walked into a showroom several months ago and almost convinced myself to purchase a Rotel RX-1052. It was the best sounding receiver I have ever heard but now I am addicted to seperates!!!
Tunes4me,
Guess what?, I have decided once again to sell the units and move onto something else. They do sound good though. I want to actually "downgrade" to a lower watt unit and pre. I have a smaller living space than last year and besides I would like something new. I was also thinking of getting a real good integrated amp. I am spending the next two weeks deciding.
Alpha_03

Yes, I am relatively new to this game and perhaps I am in over my head. The truth of the matter is that I try to make the best moves possible because it is hit or miss with me. I just do not have the finances to play real hardball right now. I speak very highly of PSB because they have always been loyal speakers to me. Furthermore, perhaps they are all that I know. I grew up on Marantz, Pioneer and Harmon Kardon. When I Bought my first NAD in the 1990's I thought I hit the big time. I am in the midst of a career change right now after realizing that I am not going to save the world. Its tough to be roaming a college campus again in my early 40's. Next year I will be in a better position to purchase what I want again, but I have to start somewhere.
Another thing. I realize there are better speakers and I absolutely drool when I see them. Dynaudio has a Contour series, the S 1.4 that I just know is superior. Thiel looks outstanding also. I still believe PSB is a great speaker, but like I said, I do not have the window of experience that most of you have.
Hello Benie,
I like my B&K but I am trying to move on. I am trying to sell the amp and pre, and I sometimes I debate whether I should just take it in and have it updated. Is this possible? I don't even know the year these units were built. Circa 1992 I am guessing. Maybe even newer. The markings resemble the Sonata Series. I do know one thing, the previous owner had litle knowledge of what he had. He was friends with some B&K Techs and they custom built it for him. He relied on his friends to install it for him also. I live near Buffalo and B&K headquarters but the price of restoring these units would probably equal the expense of a new amp...or close to it. This time last year I had a house and more room. I just want something in the 100 watt range anyway. I'm switching speakers also.
Hello Again Alpha,

Yes, I am on a budget right now and I am hoping to get a deal in the $750-1000 range. I am looking at the PSB Stratus Mini's, Dynaudio Contours (older ones) Thiel and Dali. B&W's remain a dark house but I need to hear them. I hear mixed reviews about them. I simply don't like Paradigm so its all still up in the air. I am in my early 40's but as I get older my music taste is more jazz, acid jazz, classical, some Sinatra, and of course I am still driven by some rock. I had a house last year with more room and what I am looking for now is a high performance larger monitor with good soundstage and transparency. I just acquied a Pro 10MC to upgrade my pre so everything should sound even better. My source has been lacking too because I am using a Sony Progressive scan for music. I bought it just for movies but its been a stop gap measure. That is obviously a weak link. I am trying to find a good source. I could pay up to $500 for a DVD/CD and I keep looking for a deal on a Rotel or Arcam. What is your opinion of a Pioneer Elite DVD Player int he $400 range?Also, I need some good interconnects and speaker cable under $100. See how bad it is. No wonder I am back in college for a career change.
Upstateaudio,
Does Audiogon offer twelve step programs for those of us terribly afflicted?