B&K ST 202+

Hello,
I am new here and I have a few questions. I have an old B&K St 202+ amp and a matching Pro 5 pre. The amp works great and in fact, it is too powerful for the PSB B25's that I used to test it. The preamp has a burned out power light and the lettering on the units is blue. The RCAs on the back of the amp are not marked and I have no way of knowing how much power there really is. These units were built by a B&K employee for my former neighbor. I do not need this much power and I am leaning toward a smaller Arcam and Rotel system in the near future. This equipment seems in pretty good shape and does it have any value? How do I know the wattage?
frisco64
Hello,
As much as I like the B&K Amp and Preamp, I am looking to get some newer equipment. I have a feeling the power is closer to 200 watts like you said. I like power in the 100 watt range and I would like to get an Arcam A65 to use as a preamp with a Rotel Power amp. I live in a loft apartment with neighbors downstairs. I don't live far from B&K headquarters and I may take it in for a checkup. I understand the benefits of headroom but I am more into music clarity and sound. There is a small smudge on the amps faceplate because I tried to remove a cartoon sticker someone had put on the amp. I know one thing, the Yamaha receiver I was using is going in storage!!! I will probably sell everything.
Try the B&K vs the Rotel. Very different sound. Personally, I find the B&K more neutral and revealing, the Rotel is warmer sounding. I agree with Palasr that too much power is a good thing. Many times a 200 watt amp will sound better than a 60 watt unit because it has more headroom and is much less likely to distort.

Use rubbing alcohol to get the sticker off.

The pro5 is an amazing sound pre. The only reason to unload it is if you don't like the features or need surround?
I have only heard Rotel Once, and when I did it was in a local showroom with some B&W 602 S3's. It was actually an Rx-1052 Receiver. Maybe its just the nice look of the Rotel and Arcam equipment I like though, I hear Arcam is much better than Rotel. I am finding out just how good sounding this B&K is. I am playing a test CD with various songs and its clear as day. I am using PSB Image B25's and the volume is not even at 9 O'clock!!! It sounds like Stevie Ray Vaughn is in the apartment. Diana Krall appears to be at center stage!!! The only reason I want to unload the stuff is to buy some newer equipment. The Pro 5 does sound good and when I hooked it up to a Yamaha receiver it made the music much clearer and the mud disappeared. Perhaps I will sell the stuff on here...it does sound awesome.
Frisco64,

It sounds like you are very happy with your B&K, which beggs the question why get rid of it. I upgraded from a B&K PT3II Preamp/Tuner and an ST2140 Amp to a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated to achieve the performance I was seeking at the time. At twice the cost.

The ST2140 is now in service in my HT setup along with a ST125.2 and a B&K Ref50.

I have been very happy with my B&K equipment to date with no need to upgrade.

Listen to your B&K for a while and go out and listen to other systems before making the decision to run out and upgrade. You may find that an upgrade is not necessary.

Michael
Artizen65,
I keep hearing about Bryston, and I am looking around Audigon and I see some great deals. In your opinion, just how much better is Bryston than the rest of the pack? I am speaking in terms of sonic quality of course, as well as clarity and refinement. I just split up with my longtime girl and she has the house and some of the equipment (NAD)but I managed to escape with my speakers. I am on a budget and if I could swing a Bryston Amp and Pre for $1500 I may go that way. I like the B&K equipment but I would have to sell it first before moving on. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with other it than the Pro5 lamp is burned out and smudge on the 202 I caused while trying to get off a Gumby sticker.