B&K ST 202+

Hello,
I am new here and I have a few questions. I have an old B&K St 202+ amp and a matching Pro 5 pre. The amp works great and in fact, it is too powerful for the PSB B25's that I used to test it. The preamp has a burned out power light and the lettering on the units is blue. The RCAs on the back of the amp are not marked and I have no way of knowing how much power there really is. These units were built by a B&K employee for my former neighbor. I do not need this much power and I am leaning toward a smaller Arcam and Rotel system in the near future. This equipment seems in pretty good shape and does it have any value? How do I know the wattage?
frisco64
Frisco,
I had a Pro-5, PT3 series 2 pre/tuner, Reference 4420 AMp.
B&K is nice and well built for under $600 but, at $1,500 for AMP and pre check out McCormack DNA-.5 (100 watts) or DNA-1 (150 Watts) if you want to stay in solid state gear. It has a similar warm, nuetral sound like the B&K but, more detailed and dynamic. It can also be modded by SMC audio ( the designer). I had a DNA-1 but, I sold it and went tube for only about $100 more. Not looking back anytime soon...
Eagleman6722,
You know, I have never even heard of McCormack, but I checked the website and the internet and everyone is raving about them. Man, maybe I have found a new pursuit!!!Getting back to the B&K 202, one thing I have noticed is that it is indeed very warm and up front with its presentation. As old as this amp may be, it certainly seems dignified...proud of itself. Thats a good thing. I have always liked PSB Speakers and I used to power them with NAD. This morning with the B&K they were singing for their supper. They are good with low frequencies but I do not want to push them too far with a potential 200 watt amp. I am going to find a good home for the B&K units and check out McCormack or Bryston. What is your opinion of Bryston vs McCormack Eagleman? Do you mind if I ask?
I heard Bryston Amps in the past. Excellent build quality, excellent warranty, tend to be more forward and brighter than McCormack amps. You would need to spend more per watt then for McCormack. Why, I don't really know. It is important to match speakers with Amp characteristics. Not being familar with the characteristics of PSB speakers it would be hard for me to give an opinion. However, I took a chance with my set up which revolved around Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. They happen to be rather inefficient, around 86 DB or so. Many people were of the opinion that Vandersteen and McCormack were a good match because of the characteristics of the speakers and amp. In your case, you might want to try the lesser expense route first and find a used Mccormack DNA0.5 which you can find fairly regularly on the Gon for around $600. If that doesn't do it for you then you can sell the amp for at least what you paid and find a Bryston. As far as power is concerned, unless you play music very loud, too much power is not an issue on high quality speakers. Anyway, this is what makes this hobby so interesting. You never get sick of tinkering. Although I believe that I found my sit tight combo for a while after 3 amps and five preamps. I went over to the tube side and am quite glad that I did. I bought the DNA-1 for 800 and sold for $825 a year later.

Good luck and let me know how you make out...

Eagleman
Eagleman6722,
Thanks for your feedback. I have read several reviews of the DNA 0.5 and If I get one, that may be enough for now. They seem to make wonderful preamps also. This B&K equipment sounds good in its own right, so I can imagine the McCormack sounding even better. What are your thoughts on using a McCormack pre with a B&K amp? That is of course If I don't sell this 202.
I would definitely keep the 202, its an outstanding amp and will serve you well as a backup or for a 2nd system. You rarely see these for sale and for good reason, they are fantastic amps.