B&K ST 202+

Hello,
I am new here and I have a few questions. I have an old B&K St 202+ amp and a matching Pro 5 pre. The amp works great and in fact, it is too powerful for the PSB B25's that I used to test it. The preamp has a burned out power light and the lettering on the units is blue. The RCAs on the back of the amp are not marked and I have no way of knowing how much power there really is. These units were built by a B&K employee for my former neighbor. I do not need this much power and I am leaning toward a smaller Arcam and Rotel system in the near future. This equipment seems in pretty good shape and does it have any value? How do I know the wattage?
frisco64
I just sold a 202+, and discovered that it is 200 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load. Originally, I was under the misconception that the amp was a mere 140 wpc (but I believe that applies to the 202 sans +). I am a bit confused by what you mean by "too powerful". Generally, having more power in reserve is actually a good thing as it provides ample headroom.

-R.
Hello,
As much as I like the B&K Amp and Preamp, I am looking to get some newer equipment. I have a feeling the power is closer to 200 watts like you said. I like power in the 100 watt range and I would like to get an Arcam A65 to use as a preamp with a Rotel Power amp. I live in a loft apartment with neighbors downstairs. I don't live far from B&K headquarters and I may take it in for a checkup. I understand the benefits of headroom but I am more into music clarity and sound. There is a small smudge on the amps faceplate because I tried to remove a cartoon sticker someone had put on the amp. I know one thing, the Yamaha receiver I was using is going in storage!!! I will probably sell everything.
Try the B&K vs the Rotel. Very different sound. Personally, I find the B&K more neutral and revealing, the Rotel is warmer sounding. I agree with Palasr that too much power is a good thing. Many times a 200 watt amp will sound better than a 60 watt unit because it has more headroom and is much less likely to distort.

Use rubbing alcohol to get the sticker off.

The pro5 is an amazing sound pre. The only reason to unload it is if you don't like the features or need surround?