How often should you re-calibrate your ears?

I went to see a jazz quartet last night in an intimate setting. It had been waay too long since I've been out to experience live music. Sitting at home listening to music and critiquing the accuracy of the recording is really worthless if you don't periodically experience a true reference...... a live event.

The experience provided me with some sorely needed perspective. I am now of the belief that twice a year is the minimun those in this hobby should experienc a live musical event of the type of music you listen to on recordings.

I now know I have been far too dependent on recorded music for too long. Live is still where it's at.
128x128mitch4t
To all above who have posted:

From a music teacher............Thank you.

Keep supporting the performing arts!

all my best

Paul
If live were still where it's at, we'd be accessing ticketron instead of audiogon.
Tarsando

Like everyone else you are certainly entilted to your opinion. I'm curious though - to what, or, to whom, do you listen on your system?
While I generally enjoy live music, I don't believe that what a person hears at a PAC or small club usually sounds very good. Concerts are fun because a person gets to sit in the room while a favorite musician interprets favorite tunes. It is the experience that people enjoy more often than the quality of the music.

There are a few audiophiles who will admit that their systems sound better than most live music. Generally they will not post it here though, for fear of being mocked and ridiculed.

Some people think the only way to determine the accuracy of their system is to use live music as their standard, but in reality this is simply impossible. The listener does not have enough information to determine the accuracy of what they heard at the show, and what they hear at home.

Everyone should attend concerts regularly, which I will be doing Saturday night, but I don't have any illusions about the ability to determine anything from it.
Yes in deed. And if you can situate yourself right in front of the mixing board in most cases you'll get the best sound. We did that at www.magmusic.com just this past weekend for some truly great american roots music. And the absence from your system for a few days makes it sound even better when you get home.