Less fatiquing

My Bryston 3B and Bryston preamp .5 are beautiful pieces but also very bright. I am just getting into this hobby and dont have alot of money but thought someone could make a suggestion to make my system warmer and less shrill at higher volumes. I have tara lab prism interconnects and PSB Image 5T speakers. Oh and I am using a Rotel RX965 Limited cd player or the Denon 2500 DVD as a player. Thanks in advance...bt
btexpressdog
Just last night, my audio buddy and I were comparing a Bryston 4BST and a Classe CA200 in his system which is comprised of Revel F30 speakers and a Wadia 850 in direct drive. After going back and forth, we felt the Classe was more refined, had better macrodynamics, more involving midrange, less bright, and a richer tone that appealed to us both. The Bryston definately had more treble energy and had great definition but ultimately was just too thin and two-dimensional. The Classe are very fine amplifiers and I second that choice. You could also try McIntosh which is my personal favorite. Both brands have many examples that cover all budgets. Good luck! Arthur
Brystons did USED TO BE a little hard, but I would not judge their sound based on a 3B or a .5B. Also, everything else in your system is a little bit on the "edgy" side, so maybe you should start with some lower priced Cardas or even good old MIT 330 cables. Those are the cables those Brystons were voiced with back in the day. The Rotel and denon are not known for their analog-like sound. However they both (I believe) have digital outputs, so if you can't afford expensive digital source equipment, then you might want to consider even a modestly priced but high quality separate stand-alone DAC like a used Wadia for instance wyich you can sometimes pick up for under a grand.

Before you decide Brystons sound shrill, you might want look elsewhere in your system, to make global remedies, because I don't think changing the amps will solve the problem. And just for fun, you might want to go hear some of Brystons current models. They're a lot cheaper than Rowland!
I would SERIOUSLY look at your other components before giving up on the Brystons. I don't have much experience with PSBs, but I've heard a few people accuse various models of being a little hot on top. Your digital components might also be likely culprits. Others with more experience with the particular gear in question will have better advice, but I used to own a bunch of Bryston gear, and when properly mated with appropriate partnering gear, I never found it bright at all. Methinks your problem is elsewhere.
I had a system that was too aggressive and harsh in the midrange. Putting in Cardas neutral reference cables did the trick for me. It really took the aggressiveness out of the mids. I no longer have that system, and am currently selling the cables here on the 'gon. It's not exactly a "cheap" fix - still costs a bit over $500.

If you have audio friends, I would suggest that you try substituting in pieces of their equipment to check out various links on the chain.
I would like to throw the room into the mix too. Speaker placement can sometimes correct deficiencies but a room that is hard will take some work to warm up. Some experimentation with the room can usually yield good results.

I use cables like tone controls, as do many other folks & don't forget PC's & receptacles when looking into cables.
More to discover