Downsized and still happy, can it happen?

I would like to hear from those who have moved from separates to an integrated amp in their system and your experience in doing so. Any buyers remorse in selling the separates? Are you still running the integrated or now considering separates again? Do you still get the same level of satisfaction from the system? Which pre/power amp did you have and what integrated replaced them?

Lately I find myself constantly considering and researching high quality integrated amps and admiring them for the all in one solution. I have all these components, powercords, conditioners and interconnects that I could unload and then replace with fewer higher quality versions. That is pretty much what is driving me into this little sidebar consideration.
dlwask
For reasons of space I went from McCormack separates, a DNA-0.5 amp and TLC preamp, to an Audio Refinement Complete integrated. That was quite a move down in terms of the original cost, as well, but I'd always liked the Audio Refinement and decided to give it a try.

I'm very happy with the switch. Combined with a pair of reasonably efficient ProAc Response 1s monitors and a subwoofer I actually prefer the sound in the new space to what I hold in a larger space with floor-standing ProAcs and a stack of separates.

I switched from a separate transport and DAC combo to a one-box player at the same time and gave away my tuner because there was so little decent music on FM locally.

So, I went from five boxes to two and got rid of a tangle of cables that always took a minute or two to comprehend. I like the simplicity a lot and the sound suits my space better.
I know even if I make the switch, it will not be the end of the road for me component wise. Just the thought of consolidating and upgrading in one stroke is appealing. I am actually pretty happy with the performance of my system, so I am a little reluctant...but I know there is better out there.
Hi…I love this topic….

8 years ago I had a 9 component set up (separate monos, pre, power conditioner, DAC, Transport, Correction engine, speakers & sub). I now have an integrated, CD and a pair of speakers. I do not regret the transformation in any way and the sacrifice in sound quality is negligible. I have not shirked my love for audio in this process at all, in fact I have become a reviewer for positive-feedback and as a result get to listen to a lot of cool stuff and even then I do not feel pulled to return to the mega-set-up. I have reviewed several integrateds before I settled on the Edge G3….

If you do it right a smaller equipment set up is very satisfying. This is not to be confused with a cheaper set up, good sound CAN still be expensive….but as with a mega-set-up it doesn’t need to be…

I think you can be very happy with a modest set up, John Brazier
Another alternative worthy of consideration, but may require replacing your system altogether:
CD or DAC w/ volume control and analog input option (e.g. Theta Gen VIII, Audio Aero ???, MBL 1611)->I/C->active speakers (e.g. ATC).
IMHO this is even better than using int amp since the amp-speaker interface is greatly optimized.
Dlwask your reluctance is duly noted as you know where I've been. Could find yourself posting on a thread: "Any Regrets" but there are some very good integrated amps out there like for example the Portal Panache which sells for $1,295.00. If I were to make the move to integrated, without reservations, that would be the one I would purchase. Its preamp section is strictly passive and its amplifier section closely resembles the distributed node design found on McCormack amps.