The most emotional amp out there?

OK gang, I need your votes for the amp you feel that brings the chills, the goosebumps, yes maybe even a teardrop or two when you sit down and listen to your particular music of choice. Although many responders will automatically think of tubes, I do not necessarily share that "prejudice". I'm trying to find that special amp to mate with my Virgo IIs that really takes me to the heart of the music...as opposed to just performing the requisite audiophile tricks (e.g. imaging, soundstage depth, etc.). I'm tired of appreciating the specific virtues of a well known amplifier that I am auditioning but never really being transported to a place where I forget about the gear and simply am enthralled with the music.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the audiophile thing as much as the next person. But I am searching for the amplifier that will transcend the need to go through the checklist of listening attributes a reviewer does and instead will simply allow me to sit back and just be enveloped by the message that the particular recording artist I am listening to is trying to communicate.

I hope I'm being somewhat inteligible here and thanks for your suggestions.

Gregg
reneaugroup309c
Interesting.... Tom Evans Linear As uses four EL84s per side, and a few reputable individuals claim it's the best amp currently out there, and high on the "emotional factor".
Interesting.... Tom Evans Linear As uses four EL84s per side, and a few reputable individuals claim it's the best amp currently out there, and high on the "emotional factor".
I was so excited to hear this amp after reading the "crushes all SET amps" reviews. What a shocker, as it sounded thin and glassy to me, as well as to my friend, who was selling it after two months. His Audiopax Stereo 88's were much richer/fuller/emotional sounding.

The most emotional amp I ever heard was the Audion Silver Night MKII. Downright weepy.
My first impression was exactly the same. If you're an SET fan, what you love is that palpability/mid band magic that SET does so well. Unfortunately the LA is SET only by name and sounds nothing like a SET. In fact, having owned a range of amps, I would say it sounds most like a chip amp - 47labs, Audiozone, Pateks - Fast/immediate, dynamic and direct but a far far superior version. The thin/glassy comment is true especially compared with typical SETs and even more so using stock Ei valves. But with the right upstream components + cabling (it's VERY picky/transparent) and a change of expectation of what music communication is all about, then the Linear A is an exceptional amp. Just don't expect to hear a SET. The LA's immediacy and bandwidth will blow u away. I have fallen in since...
In over 30 years of this hobby I've listened to a LOT of amps. The most emotion-infused amps I've heard are:

Audion Golden Dream 300B parallel single-ended monoblocks
McIntosh MC1201 monoblocks
VAC Avatar integrated tube amp
Audio Research D76A tube stereo amp

The Audion Golden Dreams are the most tonally dense and rich amps I've ever heard. The McIntosh MC1201 is the most dynamically effortless amp at any volume level, with rich tonal body and relaxed tone. The VAC Avatar was one of those "perfect" amps that had everything in balance. And the ARC D76A was and remains the last truly emotion-transmitting ARC circuit. Everything since has been progressively more objective and analytical.

Phil