Should Sound Quality of Computer Audio be improved

Unable to respond to, "Mach2Music and Amarra: Huge Disappointment"- Thread. Other Members take free pop-shots!
Apparently some have more Freedom Of Speech than others! I
don't know how many times I have said it, I want Computer
Audio to succeed! It will only succeed if Computers are designed from the ground up to reproduce Music (Same minimum standard applied for Equipment of ALL Audio Formats)! This is common sense Audio Engineering Design. Bandaid Modifications cannot be substituted for absence in design to produce Music! Design it right to EARN the right to become a New Audio Format- same as all other Audio Formats! No Freebee's, No Cutting Corners! Lack of design is what's causing such varied results in S.Q. between
listeners of Computer Audio. I see about 50% negative
responses here on these Threads. It will continue to happen unless you fix it! Blaming me won't help! I am an
Engineer, and I can read results! 50/50 success/ failure
rate- you have an inherit Engineering Design Flaw for the
reproduction of Music via Computers! Shock! Suprise- since
they were never designed for Music! So when is someone finally going to properly design the Equipment/Computer
(From the ground up) for Computer Audio? Do we continue
to treat any real criticism as "HERESY" in the lack of
design in Computer Audio for Music? You tell me what I am
allowed to talk about, and we will both know!
pettyofficer
The main reason CDs are still around and similar or better higher res downloads not common yet is that large files and data volumes are involved and most are not equipped with the technology yet to handle these data volumes on the scale of a large "music library". That's the biggest reason CDs will not go away for quite a while yet, though eventually they will be mostly replaced by downloads. The CD format has proven to be a winner over the years and holds up better than ever these days in regards to sound quality, so I doubt any new physical format will make a major impact in the interim. CDs/downloads are where its at for music and the trend will be towards more downloads. Of course some new records and other one off formats might persist to some extent as well as a niche product, and we will continue to have access to all those records and CDs already out there on teh used market. Lifespan of CDs in particular is quite long, so the ones around today will continue to work just as well for many years into the future until the day when most of our entertainment media sources become virtualized. Older guys like myself and even Petty I imagine will probably not be around to see that.
Mapman,

Well said and ditto.

I'm older,too, and I'll be using downloads and ripped cds until something better comes along. Another benefit of computer audio is the ability to record not only your own cds, but your friends' and acquantances' cds and files ,too, without cost.

Thanks,
Tim
EXACTLY. CDs and downloads are basically the SAME format. The only difference is downloads are not limited to 16/44.

The trend in everything digital is AWAY from physical media - and with good reason. No matter how much Petty kicks and screams.
My apologies to everyone. I am just unsure as to what everyone considers as "Musical Archive". Back in the day I
seem to remember a lot of Musical Archive stored on Master Analog Tape. CD happened, then New Music was recorded on DAT
Tape. The last that I heard Sony was transferring their entire Master Analog Tape Musical Archive onto SACD DSD Disks. At some point all New Music was being recorded ( Or
Transferred onto Music Files ). I have no idea of the Source
for Musical Archive ( Old and New Music ). Is everything currently stored as Music Files, or is it just recent New Music? How is some of our older Music being stored? If all of it is currently stored as Music Files then Downloading would make sense. If all of it is not stored as Music Files then how do we eventually Download it? I have many CDs, but
I don't have every CD made during the 80's or 90's from every Artist. I don't have everything available to rip, and now many CDs are no longer in print- therefore unavailable for Ripping. A lot of Music becomes unaccessable unless it is eventually available as Download. It is this lack of access that is my main issue. It doesn't seem to be anyone else's issue. It seems like a "Catch-22" with no way out- and it is very frustrating to deal with. My apologies for any aggravation.
Pettyofficer,

No need for apologies as far as I'm concerned. You raised a valid point concerning the availability of all music genres and artists on high resolution downloads. I'm a new convert to computer audio and, after recently searching for my favorite artist's songs on high resolution downloads and often coming up empty, I have a better understanding of your frustrations. I've ripped all my CDs to my hard drive but I consider this 'standard resolution' and would like to compare these to atleast 24 bit/96khz , and ideally even higher, resolution. I hope I was right when I said free market forces, namely supply and demand, will likely solve this shortage. These forces sure are taking their time on this commodity, right?
No worries....maybe,
Tim