Apartment Drama

Hi- I recently moved from my house to a 2nd floor apt with 1 apt on each side and 1 below. 3pm today I turned my stereo on for the 1st time. Low volume IMO. Hard to describe but no problem having a conversation without even raising my voice. within 10 minutes my neighbor knocked on my door acting irratated demanding I turn the volume down. WTF? Now what. Do I have any rights or do I have to obey this jerk?
david99
Something else to consider is that it's possible to partially sound-proof your place.

If you have hardwood floors, you need to set up some layers under your speakers. Step one, go to a flooring shop and get carpet samples. Thick Berber or Frisse works well. You want to cover the area under your speakers or stands. Double stacking the samples is often a good idea. Above the carpet you'll want to put Marble Samples. 1/4 inch thick is good; stacking to 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch is better. If you have a sub, you might want a full inch. On top of the marble you'll want to put heavy duty stands such as sound anchors.

These approaches seem to work for me, along with some strategic planning. I'm in a third floor condo in a city that requires concrete for the first two floors. Thus, my downstairs neighbor's ceiling (and my floor) is concrete. My upstairs neighbor is the HOA President, and my South-Wall neighbor is the HOA Secretary. I have no North-Wall or East-Wall Neighbors.

My sub is 4 inches from my North Wall, and rests on 1/2 inch of marble in a room with wall to wall frisse carpeting. My speakers stands are Sound Anchors, and are all against the East-Wall in every room, except the bedroom, where they are against the North-Wall. My East-Wall faces outside, so only Up/Down neighbors are potentially affected. In the bedroom, the bookshelf speakers are on tall dresser cabinets and over 50 inches off the floor. After 10PM, the volume goes WAY down. Also, FWIW, extensive headphone use tends to give me tinnitus, so I only use speakers.

I've been in my current place 8 years, and so far there's been not a peep from the neighbors about the sound systems.

At the same time, I've noticed that some of the the neighbors will consistently bang on the walls every night at 7PM. At first I found this REAL annoying. Now, I pretty much just ignore them and continue with practicing on my bagpipes until 9PM.
Guys, this is America. Guess what? I am allowed to blast my big amps and speakers as long as I don't do it late at night.

and, it doesn't matter if you own or rent. You can own a house next door to a renter and do you not think he will tell you to lower your music? Of course he will. This is very misunderstood and always handled incorrectly because when the cops come to your door (or the an angry neighbor), you are totally unprepared. have your dB meter and copy of the ;aw handy and tell the cops to tidy up the walk on their way back to their car. I lived in Brooklyn NY in apartments with BIG speakers and loud amps from when I was 14 years old to 35 years old. I have had my door pushed in by a neighbor (the police almost arrested HIM).
Cerrot...back then In brooklyn you lived in a building that was not new-
construction as did I; plaster and wood walls which helps keep the sound
in. Not great for accoustics, but it can be treated. As a teenager I practiced
drums every day with minimal complaints; but I did it at a resonable hour. I
think neighbors were a lot more tolerant than they are today.

David99... you are located in the worst possible area of your building. You'll
have to make nice with the neighbors if u are to play music in the way in
which u are accustomed. If it was me I would get new spkrs.
Earphones or move. Actually, you can get better sound from good earphones/dedicated amp than speakers anyway.