Grounding

Many years ago I heard that it was sufficient to ground your equipment in the center screw of a wall socket?

Presently my G is run to a metal rail on balcony which is set in concrete.

Any recommendations on how to best ground ones equipment when living in an upper floor aptment?

Thanks all---R
roscoe50
First, I'm not sure what it is that you are referring to that you want to connect to an external earth ground point. Are you talking about grounding the chassis of the equipment, which would normally be grounded anyway via the AC safety ground pin of the power plugs (assuming they are 3-prong plugs)? Or are you talking about connecting the signal grounds/circuit grounds of the system to earth ground?

In either case, though, I agree with Ralph/Atmasphere that if your equipment is properly designed you are unlikely to be accomplishing anything constructive by adding extraneous ground connections. In addition, you would probably be introducing a code violation, and possibly serious safety hazards as well. See the upper part of page 8 of this paper.

Regards,
-- Al
Czarivey
"cold water pipe in the place i live is plastic and so
sewage. one way is to drop ground inside sewage such as drop
it in toilet tub, but be careful not to do ya thing when
there's thunder or you can loose ya things...
sewage and waste is much better conductor vs. water."

What? PLEASE nobody do any of this! Not sure if this is
for real, but don't do it...

What Ralph and Al said is correct.
Specifically i am using a Denon 395 with a Ground terminal on the rear panel. I am not referring to a power cord.

What i may do is get a 10 Gal dirt filled pot and sink the wire right into it on a tent stake or something.

Thanks for replies....R
The ground terminal on the back of the Denon DRA395 is for a turntable, not a chassis ground. You shouldn't need to ground the unit itself?
That would not be a ground. If you want to test for a true
ground source you will need a multimeter. To get an earth
ground you would need to drive a ground rod about 3 feet into
the ground. Since you are in an apartment the center screw on
the outlet is your only option. BTW, that metal rail you are
using now is useless. You still have to check that the center
screw is grounded,sometimes they are not.