When does speaker distortion become audible?

I recently got some seas excel speakers and when I fired them up for the first time I thought to myself "wow, there's no distortion".

I find this interesting because I never really thought I was hearing any distortion from my previous speakers but maybe I was, and just didn't pick up on it until now.

Interesting side note, I think my personal speaker taste is moving towards less analytical, super detailed sound to a more musical, tone based preference (I think I'm becoming less tone deaf, lol).
128x128b_limo
It's a strange thing, that when a high end system is turned up a little louder than average distortion is very audible. Yet, the speakers and the amp are operating within their range. Anyone else notice this? Funny how we get used to the distortion.
Thanks for the response Kijanki. Smiling a little after reading the quote from Robert Lee of Acoustic Zen. You may find the bench test results -- particularly those relating to distortion at 100 db SPL -- for an earlier version (v2) of my speakers (v3) to be interesting:

*ww.hometheaterhifi.com/surround-sound-speaker-systems/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/a-secrets-speaker-system-review/page-4-the-paradigm-reference-signatures-on-the-bench.html

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce, I had previously Paradigm Studio 60v2. It had 2 1/2 way xover. One of two 6.5" woofers operated only at the low bass frequencies extending that way frequency response. My current Hyperion 938 have two 8" woofers in much larger cabinet (pretty much like Wilson Puppy) but bass extension is actually worse. What is different, though, is the sound of the bass. I'm not sure if this would come up in any distortion test but bass is more pleasant, more musical. Bass tones are even with realistic attack and decay. I've read that bass reflex speakers might be tuned for extension or for the lowest distortion. People talk of bass as low or as powerful or tuneful but there is something else making it sound real.
The sensitivity of the speakers is a big factor. That's way
very sensitive horns can sound so natural, dynamic and utterly at ease when playing at levels that have many box, planar and electrostatics demanding huge power reserves (and a fast amp) to handle peaks. Read some reviews of the JBL DD6600 and 6700 and they discuss the feeling of unlimited/unstrained dynamics as a huge factor in enjoyment of all music, form solo flute to all out symphonic. It's the sound of live.
Kijanki, thanks for your response. Of course, the Paradigm Studios 60s and Signatures 8s are very different speakers at very different price points. Nevertheless, I think technical specs can only take one so far. There's the "X-Factor" that counts for a lot as to whether a speaker sounds fair, good or great.

Then of course there's the equipment, especially the amp. I noticed a major improvement in sound, particularly bass, when I sprung this year for the ARC Ref 150. I suspect the sonic presentation improved in large part because the Ref 150's DF is almost twice that of my previous amp, the ARC VS-115 (14 versus 7, respectively). In addition, the power supply in the Ref 150 is triple that of the VS-115 -- 1040 joules versus 335 joules, respectively. ARC's sales literature puffery that the Ref 150 "will dominate" one's speakers may not be total hyperbole.

Regards, Bruce