Lower Volume from One Monoblock

Technical question on Cary 500 monoblocks. One amp is noticeably lower in output volume than the other. My sound was off-centered, a good bit louder on the left. Swapping the monoblocks left to right the louder sound swapped too. The left channel is now lower in volume. Any ideas on what goes wrong with a monoblock to reduce the output. The amp plays, it is just lower in output than the other amp?
stickman451
Almarg, thanks for the info and response. I too have read that Stereophille review and the Hovland does have a very high impedance. So, you don't think it would match well at all? I am using Magnepan 20.7's too.
So, you don't think it would match well at all?
I wouldn't recommend it. It MIGHT sound fine on most recordings, since what would be adversely affected to the greatest degree is mainly the bottommost octave. But why introduce a known issue into your system when there are other choices available?

Regards,
-- Al
My only thought was that since the 20's don't really go too low that in the bass it might work.
As far as sound goes, what do you think if the Cary's? You don't say how long you had them for. Did you hear them before the problem? If you can use the Cary's as a reference, it may be helpful in the search for a new amp.
My only thought was that since the 20's don't really go too low that in the bass it might work.
Stickman451, you need to trust Al on this one. I've had some experience with an impedance mismatch, and bass was not the only issue with the sound. It also seemed lifeless, dull, and lacked dynamics. An amp with the correct input impedance, and only a 1/4 of the power of the mismatched amp was actually more dynamic. Both amps sounded great with a properly matched preamp.