Lower Volume from One Monoblock

Technical question on Cary 500 monoblocks. One amp is noticeably lower in output volume than the other. My sound was off-centered, a good bit louder on the left. Swapping the monoblocks left to right the louder sound swapped too. The left channel is now lower in volume. Any ideas on what goes wrong with a monoblock to reduce the output. The amp plays, it is just lower in output than the other amp?
stickman451

Showing 7 responses by stickman451

I will contact Cary Monday and arrange to send them both amps for a 'check-up'...

I repalced the Cary's temporarily with a stereo SS amp and all is good now, images are centered correctly; definitely something going on with the Cary's...
Foster_9, curious what did you find to replace the Cary's? I am driving Magnepan 20.7's and need all the power I can get!
I've been looking at the Bryston 28B SST2. I tried the new version of the cary 500's but they had some sort noise problem via the single ended inputs; talked to cary but could not work it out. Not really sure what caused that noise issue.

Have you tried the 28B sst2?
Almarg, thanks for the info and response. I too have read that Stereophille review and the Hovland does have a very high impedance. So, you don't think it would match well at all? I am using Magnepan 20.7's too.
My only thought was that since the 20's don't really go too low that in the bass it might work.
I did remove the cover and check the fuses...they were okay. I will just send them back to Cary (not too far from where I live) and let them check them out.
Well it turns out I couldn't close the possible deal on the Brystons...the seller refused to allow me to inspect them at his place prior to finalizing the deal...