Computer Do Over

So, the Dell CPU died today. We have most of our cd's on itunes in Apple Lossless and have most of them saved on an external hard drive. We thought it was broken but turns out it is okay and the computer is fried, so we will start over. We run a Squeezebox with a DAC for this. MY question is considering a complete do over - do we stay with PC or go to a MAC? We are reading up on Mac Mini - and wondering if this is the way to go. What is Snow Leopard and is this needed? Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
audiowoman
Rbstehno...I never said you couldn't use the mac mini as a server. I do understand what your getting at about the streaming... I do something similar .. except its with all Windows units.

Comparing manufactured units ...the Macs may rate well, compared to something built specifically by an individual that's using premium parts of choice..you would have a hard time coming to the same conclusion about getting what you pay for. ;-)

I have a good friend who uses a Mini for his HTPC. He likes the Itunes for audio, but I recently turned him on to XBMC as his audio/video front end. It is a different level of media server open source software. XBMC is by far the front end of choice for guys doing the media server thing on Linux or Mac over on AVSforum.com. It gives you eye candy that the plain vanilla Itunes front end just doesn't match. It's also highly configurable.

If you haven't tried it, you're missing out on one neat program. I use Windows Media center with the Media Browser plug-in along with XBMC on a secondary HTPC.

The one area Mac OSX seems to lack in.. is having all around Media front-end playback support. There's no 1080P support for Mac nor is there automatic Meta-Data retrieval for movies/TV shows ripped into a Mac server. All of this has to be done manually . Even the ripping process is more complicated to play DVDs back on OSX from hard drive compared to Windows.

For a hardcore Home-theater/audio PC guy it's not the best option unless you plan to run Win 7 dual booted. This is one area where Windows performs admirably and there's no question about that if you look around.

In a nutshell, if all I were doing is playing music..the Mac Mini is fine. For all around playback, a dedicated Windows HTPC/server can't be beat IMO. No single OS does everything well, that's just the nature of the beast.
Well, we ended up with an IMAC which seems like an incredible machine. Wireless everything. We have our old stuff on an external hard drive, now we just have to figure out how to move everything from that to the MAC. The kid said you just plug it in and drag stuff....mmmn doesn't seem to be going that easily. Time for Apple Support calls tonight!

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Audiowoman,

Congratulations on your iMac purchase. I love mine, and I'm sure you will, too.

Hook up the external drive to the iMac using either a USB or a Firewire cable. It should show up as an icon on the desktop. Open it, and it will allow you to see the files. To copy some of the files to your iMac, open "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you might have renamed it), create an appropriate folder for it (File->New Folder), then select the files you want to copy and drag them over to that folder.

Enjoy!

Michael
if your files are on another mac, just link to the mac, present the hd on the imac, and start copying. to start this, go to GO, then Connect to Server from the menu bar. type in your ip addr of the mac you want to attach. if you don't know it, then go to the remote mac under the apple and click "about this mac". then click "more info", then click network. use the ipv4 address associated with your ethernet connection. then you will either get prompted for which hard drive you want to link to or if there is only 1, it will show up on your imac. open it up, and start copying things to your new imac.
Rbstenho, her files were on an external HD that was connected to the now-dead Dell, rather than on another Mac. That's why I suggested that she connect the external HD to the new Mac.

Michael