Anti-skating- test records vs. ears

I've been experimenting with anti skating recently. I know the conventional recommendation is to set the anti skate to the same setting as VTF. I track at 1.8 gr.

I hav several test records. I first had a Shure V15 type 3 then later owned a V15 type 5 ( still regret selling the type 3) so I have 2 Shure test records. I also own the HiFi News and Record Reviews test record. My test records tell be that my anti skating should be set at about 2, certainly not less. However, my ears tell me 1.5 is plenty and beyond that I loose something- call it sparkle, air, extension or whatever. I went with my ears

Anyone experience something similar?
128x128zavato
Get a good cart that will track at 2 grams and forget about
anti-skate.
Try it.
Dear Stringreen,
After the cartridge is well run in, what you are proposing (to use a similar car analogy) is that my car can have a square tyre on one front wheel and a circular one on the other whilst expecting it to steer, handle and perform properly?

Do I need to fit a "square tyre" to my car to prove this or is common sense sufficient?

In my rig, if I were to play the 12db track with my current A/S setting, the R channel would be buzzing slightly. This is because I optimised by ear and used lower A/S. IMO, contrary to some suggestions, I don't consider that the ideal setting is a million miles away from the "balanced setting" on the 12db track so it is an acceptable starting point (as far as I'm concerned).

(BTW, I have actually tried low > zero A/S approx 1000 LPs ago on this Phantom II/Delos combination)
Dear Schubert....it's a fair point. Beats the hell out of arguing about it. Or you could use an MMIII which doesn't even need the 2g! ;^)

I get the strong feeling you could put that cartridge in the worst turntable/tonearm combination you could find and the cart would do all the work for you(!) :)

Just a shame I got strange resonance issues (reactions to pinchwarps) with it on 20% of pressings using a gimballed arm. Never tried the MMIII on the Phantom but I'd like to...
It only has about 100 hrs on the clock. :)
Moonglum... If on the 12th track, your cartridge is buzzing, it is set up wrong. I suspect all of the cuts would sound better with more vtf...but.... clearly you can't be talked to....all I said is to test your cartridge and see if it works better with or without. I have a Benz LPS....I can tell you that it works better without. I don't care if you or anyone else uses a/s...I can tell you that I don't. Perhaps another cartridge (I'm thinking of an Atlas) does require it...I'll let you know when I get it, after I compare.