Turntable Bearings

How can we tell the condition of a used TT bearing with a good and reasonable accuracy other than just observing it?
manualblock
Thanks, maybe I should have been more specific. I'm looking to buy used, I have a 1980 version of a Linn LP12. The lower registers seem a little diffuse now and I'm told thats a symptom of a worn bearing. I can't see it but I can hear it.. So as clarification I'm not asking about obvious wear that's easily observed but instead I am concerned about a used purchase with undetectable wear by the eye. I would try an o-scope but I'm not exactly sure how to set that test up.I also use a stethoscope. I believe that after 40 yrs any bbearing must show wear even if it's unoticiable.
Also people ask for advice and I can't fully establish that a bbearing on an older table is good. Looking at an older Linn doesn't tell you much unless the wear is extensive.
I hhope that helps.
You can easily replace the bearing on an LP12, contact Rick at audioalternative.com, he is a LP12 guru. If anyone knows these tables top to bottom it would be him.
Thanks; still don't see how to check an older bearing though. BTW, Linn doesn't sell older replacement bearings; only the new ones for 1300$
Still might worth a call to Audioalternative as he may have bearings removed when people upgraded. Just a thought, also he can probably tell you what to look for when inspecting yours. Off hand I would say remove the subplatter and clean all the oil from the bearing well and look inside for any roughness and also the end of the shaft. Also as a previous owner of an LP12, if the suspension is not correctly adjusted, the sound quality can be affected greatly. They are a great sounding table but very finicky which is why I sold mine. You haven't mentioned how long you have had the table, so the following may be redundant and no offense is the intent.
A quick test of the suspension is to find the point between the spindle and the tonearm pivot point and quickly tap your finger enough to depress the platter. Then watch the surround of the arm board and see if it bounces in a plane where the gaps around the arm board stay the same. If it shifts in any direction, adjustment is probably needed.
Try posting your question on the Linn LP12 forum on the Linn site. Several LP12 experts frequent that forum and you're more likely to get answers.