Why can you buy a car at dealer Invoice but audio

Equipment you have to pay retail and if the dealers in a decent mood he might give you 10-15% off.
taters
I remember before the economy went bust the cars dealers were selling cars like the Prius for $5000.00 over sticker so the are no real deals. If anyone can get more money they will.
Minori, your comments about the auto and audio industry are only partially true. Sadly there are a lot of car dealers whose practices are borderline scam and fraud. But just like not all brick and mortar audio stores are jerks, so it is with the car business. There are decent dealers...you just have to look for them. Same with good audio stores. Same here on Audiogon and on Ebay. Frankly I would rather pay more for a product from some company that is customer oriented. There isn't enough of a saving from a bad sales experience to justify doing business with them.
"You cannot buy a maxed out BMW M series at dealer invoice"
I bought one (loaded M3) in late 2011 at under invoice with rebates and incentives. Of course they still made money on it.
You won't see Porsches any where near invoice and there is a huge spread between invoice and MSRP. It's not hard to get 5% off though.
Roundmoundofsound; I totally agree with you. There are good dealers out there with good salespeople that are above board. I know they won't give away the farm and they have to make money to stay in business. But there is a difference between making an honest profit and trying hard to totally separate the customer from their money.

I'm also willing to pay more for good service and I absolutely will not pay for bad service. I will walk out. If I need or want something so bad that I would tolerate terrible service, well then there is something wrong with me.