Opinions on bang for the buck on TT & tonearm

$6000.00 budget on the used or demo market.
The sound; must create the illusion of being there, accurate vocals and sufficient bass. I know kinda tall order.
Thanks curleyques
curleyques

Lewm: "And you know what audiophiles are like, me included. What I own is obviously the best."

Thanks for summarizing audiophilia for me. For a long time I thought being an audiophile is to think "what I own is what I LIKE best." Now I know.

Third the VPI/pick a price point method. Love the VPIs.

If you have no ego and some DIY skills perahps look at a technics 1200 or SP10. But that option is really for tweakers only IMO.
Dear Hiho, Upon further thought, I would wish to modify my definition of audiophilia, in the interests of both fact and humor. But the OP has more responses here than he really needs.

Dfel, With $6000 to spend, one can purchase a very highly "tweaked" SP10 Mk2, needing no further work or repair. Not that I recommend such above all the other possibilities; I am just pointing that out. For far fewer bucks you can have a restored Kenwood L07D, which in my opinion would blow any VPI, save possibly the DD VPI, (and any SP10 Mk2) into the weeds and comes with tonearm. Takes a little sense of adventure to do that, I admit.