Real Stinkers

There was a recent thread about consecutive great albums by your favorite artists. How about turning it on it's head? What is the WORST album by your FAVORITE artist. The one where they REALLY stunk up the joint? The one that it pained you to listen to? The one where everybody went "What were they thinking?"

I'll start off, at the risk of picking a fight - Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboys by Elton John. Except for "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", I never really cared for the rest of the album.
kinsekd
In my opinion the first 2 King Crimson albums are spectacular in their ability to lay lush soundscapes that take you away. The others I cannot decipher. KC is one of my favorite groups and I have The MFSL album In the Court plus my 2nd or 3rd CD. Last one is 24 bit. There was an SACD coming out in 2003-4 but it was scrapped. Their new 5CD boxed set focusing on their first album is on my wish list! It contains 4 different versions of their first release plus one 5.1 DVD with some live material!. I think that may qualify as a record. A long lost master tape was found recently. It was misplaced from the beginning and when it was mixed on a tape machine with misaligned heads the sound was forever flawed. In the wake of Poseidon off their 2nd album is one of the most beautiful songs. I just relistened to my 4 CD best of box set last week and just could not get into it.
Might be hard to top Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" which -IMHO- is truly unlistenable. Reed has done some great stuff, some not-so- great stuff, some really shaky stuff, and MMM.

Marty

PS I was a bit suprised to see RE Keen's Picnic listed by Viridian, (with whom I agree more often than not) and seconded by Jposs. It was more pop/rock inflected than most of Keen's other records, but I thought it was very good in its own way. IIRC, it got very strong reviews and sold well, too. OTOH, I would acknowledge that popularity doesn't equal quality and that the SQ definetly leaves something to be desired. Different strokes, I guess.
"Heavy Metal Music" was reputed to be Reed's attempt at a non-listenable, non-commercial recording done only to complete his contractual obligation to RCA. Don't think of it as a Lou Reed album. It's an album by The Artist Formerly Known As Lou Reed.
bob dylan desire cd is the worst sounding music i have. love the songs just not the sound