Best cartridge to reduce hum under $400 USD

I am currently running a Grado platinum reference on a stock Thorens TD150 mkII and Grado phono preamp. I like the the music it produces, but on my new Arcam - Monitor Audio - B&W based system I am noticing the hum a lot more. The hum increases as the cartridges swings towards the center of the platter, so I am assuming the unshielded cartridge is to blame.

With the b&w sub I am also now noticing more rumble, which may also indicate the cartridge is the wrong compliance? If I recall correctly, the tone arm is medium weight, something like 13 grams.

The phono stage has high and low level settings, but not sure it can effectively handle low very output MC.

Any suggestions?

kn
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
It's been my experience that if you change something out and all of a sudden get 60 Hz hum, there is a ground fault somewhere. Before spending any money, start with the isolation drill. Disconnect the cartridge leads and move the arm across the platter at zero attenuation. Repeat with the headshell removed. Make sure to double-check the preamp / power amp combo by going to zero attenuation on a non-active input selection after the turntable leads have been disconnected. A final check (if feasible for you) is to test a totally different table.

Good luck and happy listening!
Another vote for DL-110.
Even better, esp.on Acoustic music ,are Nagoka MP-200 or MP-300.
The Grado Statement Platinum is a lower ouput [ 1.5 mV ] brother to Reference that was produced to combat your problem . It costs the same . Make sure your Phono Stage is up to the low output .
I'm think the 1.5 on the Grado Statement Platinum is the
tracking force not the output.
Thanks for the input. If I understand this correctly, I don't think I am having ground fault problems, because when the cartridge is swung away from the table (past it's rest), the hum essentially disappears. Thanks all for the cartridge suggestions. I was actually considering the Grado Sonata Statment, but was concerned about the hum on the Platinum Reference. So you are saying the low number of windings on the Statment cartridges reduces hum from the motor? Even with greater need for preamplification? I think the statements are 0.5 mV.