SDS or phono stage

I have a VPI Scoutmaster with Soundsmith Zephyr Mk II cartridge, jmw memorial arm, a stainless steel vpi record clamp, playing through a Musial Fidelity KW500 integrated amp with on board phono stage. Sounds quite good, but my question is this: would I be better off at this point adding an SDS or an outboard phono stage? Or both? In what order? Thanks!
arsh
Arsh (and Lwin), The SDS is an AC re-generator. Think of it as an amplifier that puts out 120V and 60Hz (or whatever variation from those baseline parameters is needed to make your tt run at precise 33 and 45). Thus it does more than any typical power conditioner, most of which are just noise filters with or without an isolation transformer, unless your power conditioner is also an AC regenerator. Lwin, your balanced AC power does not substitute for the SDS or other similar power regenerating motor controller. Moreover, a good motor controller also makes the tt motor run quieter, if properly adjusted. Even further, the AC regenerator prevents motor noise from getting back on to the AC that serves your other noise sensitive components. So even if speed is bang on without the motor controller, there are still benefits to be had.
Correct! The SDS converts wall AC into DC, then synthesizes AC, at whatever(user adjustable) frequency it takes to achieve 33 1/3 or 45 rpm. It also lowers the voltage, after platter start-up, to reduce motor noise. I like not having to change the belt, to go from 33 1/3 to 45 rpm. That now just takes the push of a button.
The phono stage in the MF A308 integrated I had long ago was not very good. Not sure how it compares with your newer MF though.

It will depend on how much your budget is? If you could stretch for something like a Parasound JC3, it would be more of an improvement than the SDS alone. If your budget is around $1k then it becomes a closer call. Personally I would save as much as possible and get a really nice phono stage first.
Thanks a lot everyone. I found an SDS here and have purchased it. Should arrive in a few days. I have also ordered a Herron VTPH2 phono stage for audition. Anyone have experience with it? Everything I have read has been very positive, and Herron is close to home. Thanks again for your help.
The Herron is one I would like to hear. From all reports it should be a big improvement on your in built MF phono stage.