How Good Is A Marble Slab at Deadening Vibration

I have a marbles slab that is approx. 42" X 16X 2". A left over insert from a coffee table. I would like to lay it on top of a plant stand table that is 50" X 18X 30" The slab weigh about 70 lbs. II think I have enough space laterally to position a Rega turntable, a Bel Canto line stage, and Rega Apollo CD player and a pair of Red Dragon monoblocks, that could easily be stack vertically if necessary.(Also could place them on the bottom shelf which has a slight V-shaped dip ...probably a run off channel. This would save me three feet of speaker cable on both channels is placed near the bottom)

The plant stand is made of wood and has fairly massive "L-shaped" legs. The table weight is about 40 pounds.

My thinking is that a marble slab should provide excellent isolation from vibration. The only drawback is the left side of table will only be a foot from the right speaker. So I would start the progression of components from right to left to increase the distance to the speaker in question. Would like opinions from members about the pros/cons of this set-up. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
BW, where did you purchase the cork platter matt.
I made it myself. Bought the cork roll from Staples, put the MMF5 felt mat on it & traced out a circle, cut it out with an Xacto knife, made a spindle hole also with the Xacto knife & I had a cork mat ready to go....

The downside of placing the cork board under the marble is I would have to very carefully lift the marble slab which weighs alot to position the cork material.
maybe I am misunderstanding this - you place the cork mat first & then put the slab of marble over it (2-man lift on the marble slab). You don't lift the slab with one had & shove the cork mat under it. Yeah, that's asking for trouble!
TO BW: The cork mat sounds simple enough to make..... Unfortunately, I decided to go ahead and try the marble slab before I read any of the posts, so therefore my concern about lifting it again. Surely, a two man job. I will let you know if I decide to install the cork.
06-28-13: Sunnyjim
TO BW: The cork mat sounds simple enough to make..... Unfortunately, I decided to go ahead and try the marble slab before I read any of the posts, so therefore my concern about lifting it again. Surely, a two man job. I will let you know if I decide to install the cork.
fair enough. The only thing I can say here is that do NOT make a judgement until you have tried the marble slab with the cork sheet under it. Thanks.
Great I think, the heavier the better. I used Marble under my tube amps when I had them as I felt they looked better in the room. I now use granite slabs under all of my equipment. All the source equipment is in a closet but the amps now.
If you do not use some kind of rubber or a mix of cork and rubber most any stone item will ring.
You can buy rubber and cork squares from Mapleshade for way too much money IMO, or you can purchase them on Amazon. They are larger but you can cut them down. They are rated for 50 lbs. per square inch so take all the weight in account. You can use any extras for under equipment.
BTW I sold the Marble with the amps.