$7K to spend on new turntable + arm

I have VPI Scout 1.0 turntable with a dynavector DV20X2m cartridge. I listen mainly to Jazz so this is my primary focus. What would you recommend as a turntable/tonearm upgrade as I have around $7K to spend. What sort of improvements in sound could I expect from your recommendation?

Note, I had ordered a VPI Classic 3 Rosewood, but for some reason VPI changed contents from what has been positively reviewed (no longer including Valhalla wire in tonearm and no periphery clamp).
bpowers23
Bpowers23, per Jmcgrogan2's recommendation of a Basis 2200 with Vector 4 arm and your mention of doing research on those items. Paul Seydor reveiwed that very setup in tas a while ago. Found it on the tas website. There may be other reviews on the Basis website. I've not heard the 2200 but have owned other Basis 'tables which have been stellar and their support has been exceptional.
You've had your fun with the VPI Scout, now maybe go for something totally different.

That's what I did since I really couldn't stand their extremely wobble (unstable) VPI unipivot tonearm.

There are lots of good choices out there, so audition, have fun but most of all, take your time.

Some recommendations include:
- Linn Majik LP12
- Rega RP8
- Acoustic Signature Challenger
- Clearaudio Ovation
- Avid Diva II SP
- Oracle Paris
- Brinkmann Bardo (w/ Origin Live Encounter tonearm)

For a cart, you can stay with the Dynavector DV-20X2 MC or even a Clearaudio Maestro Wood V2 MM (excellent carts for the money).
12-15-13: Bpowers23
The prepro controls the volume. That's it. It's out of the way.

I would disagree with that statement. I gave up on trying to listen to music through a SSP and multi-channel amps over a decade ago. I tried many big name brands like Krell, Classe, and Mark Levinson. None of them satisfied me musically. Coincidentally, I believe I was running VA Strauss speakers at that time too. Since I was using my system for music over 80% of the time, and less than 20% for HT, I finally gave up on chasing the idea that it could be done. I found that equipment specifically designed for stereo to be much more satisfying sounding musically.

Now I have separate 2-channel system and HT system, though they are still joined through my Cary SLP-98P preamp with HT Bypass and a stereo amp. For HT I just use a Denon AVR. I use the FR and FL preamp outputs of the AVR to go through the Cary HT Bypass so that my stereo amp can drive my main speakers as FR & FL, while the AVR drives the center and surrounds. The AVR controls the volume for the whole 5.1 system then.

For me, music is so much more satisfying now, and I find that when watching movie a Denon AVR does just fine for dialog. I gotta have me some tubes to listen to music. As always, YMMV. I can't imagine that you would hear much of an improvement sonically by running a really good analog front end through a electronic rig set up for surround sound though. I think that your VPI Scout with Dynavector cartridge is just fine for your current electronics. It is your money though, and you are certainly free to do as you wish with it. Cheers.
I wouldn't worry about the Valhalla wiring. Actually, although the Nordost is brighter, overall, the Discovery has a better midrange and bass...although I guess that depends on the overall character of your system.
I would highly recommend a TW Raven One and an Ortofon arm. Slightly above your budget but a very musical combination.