New to turntables - does this gear combo work?

Hi All,

This is my very first post on the forum, but I've been browsing heavily the past week or so once I decided that I wanted to take the leap into vinyl. I can pick up some gear locally for a nice price, and I'm wondering if these things are compatible with one another. I can get a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, a Pro-Ject "Phono Box" preamp, and a pair of Audioengine A2 powered speakers.

Do those work together? If I understand correctly, I can connect the preamp to the turntable and then the speakers into the preamp without a power amp because they are powered speakers. I realize this may not sound amazing, but I have virgin ears when it comes to vinyl anyway and right now I just want something kinda nice to start with. I know enough to not consider Crosley or low end Audio Technica.

Thanks very much in advance!
_mementomori_
Unfortunately, the answer is "maybe". The phono box is designed as what is called a line level device, to feed an input on an integrated amp or line stage pre-amp. The Pro-ject does not have an attenuator or volume control. The 9 volt specified output of the Project is quite a bit higher than a typical line level output of 2-3 volts, so it may be enough to drive the built-in amps of the A-2s. The Audioengine web site does not say what the input sensitivity of their amp is, so you will have to ask their tech support. If 9 v will drive it to full output, then you should be OK. Personally, given the generally non-technical nature of most tech support, I'd make sure that I had full return privileges before I went down that road. Your other alternative to the Project-Box is a full function pre-amp (phono stage plus line stage plus attenuator and input switcher) which will allow you to add a "gasp!!!" CD or tuner or computer line level source to the mix.
Assuming your TT comes with a cart., the system should work with no problems.
Swamp is correct, you should consider a real preamp for best sound ..do not over look this important stage it is the most profound effect on how well the system will sound besides speakers. A good sounding preamp is what your system really needs to bring out the dynamics and soundstage.
As the OP happily admits he has virgin ears and isn't (yet!) caught up in the need for ever-better sound, the simple answer to his question would appear to be a mix of Swampwalker's and Yogiboy's posts.

If the Audioengine A2 powered speakers can produce full output from an input of 9v (without being overloaded) AND include an attenuator for volume control, then this gear combo would work.

How it sounds is a question the OP may worry about later, as audiophiles tend to do. But first, we must set the hook by getting him listening to vinyl. There are many paths to the madness of vinyl-philia. Let's not close the door on any of them. ;-)