Stylus Rake Angle

I am trying to set up my new VPI 3D arm as close to perfection as I can. On the Analog Planet, Michael Fremer gives one opinion, however, a different opinion was voiced by Harry at VPI, and Peter at Soundmith. I've been discussing this with them....Fremer says that SRA should be adjusted even if the back end of the arm is WAY high up as needed, whereas Harry, and Peter said to start with the arm in a horizontal position and move it slightly up and down to find the sweet spot. Peter said that my cartridge (Benz LPS) and some others have an additional facet in the diamond so bringing the arm up in back would be exaggerating the proper SRA. When I wrote back to Fremer, he answered with an insistance that he was correct. Does anyone want to add to the confusion??
128x128stringreen

Peterayer and Stringreen,
Sorry to veer off on to record cutting.

To get back to the OP. The reason why there is an issue with regard to SRA and VTA is that they affect different things. An appreciation of what each term actually means helps to understand the issues. An appreciation of why cartridges have the geometry they do also helps. Reading the articles I linked to will be useful in doing this. Some might find them too technical, in which case, ignore the subject and set your arm up to sound as good as you can.

Csontas:
from your reply, it is clear that, if you have read the articles and are none the wiser, you fall into the last category above. Please don't insult me or question my motives.

John goron. I don't see why you should feel insulted. But I certainly have been. To suggest that those participating in this thread don't understand the terms borders on an insult to them as well. We all understand the terminology and what's clear is that you've been just playing semantics.
John, I appreciate your providing the links. I enjoy such articles and do find them helpful to understand the technical issues involved and why there are limitations to the medium.

I just thought I would share some listening impressions I've had recently and how small changes to SRA can in fact alter our impression of how an LP sounds relative to hearing something real like a solo cello and orchestra during an actual concert.
Dear Peterayer: Good that you made " your work " that you took your time to made those tests nad good that you heard those differences.

The only way to grow up and improve our knowledge level is through listening tests even if some of them can be cumbersome or a night mare. I think there is no other way to learn.

It's no surprise that Dynamics improved with your set up changes because Dynamics ( as a main MUSIC characteristic. ) involve almost all other live MUSIC characteristics.

The main importance on those kind of tests is to understand the differences and know from there what looking for during other kind of evaluations or item comparisons.

That kind of " exercise " is time consuming but the rewards on the self learning is worth the effort.

In the other side, when I analize technical audio subjects or read what other persons post in that regard normally what I do is to go to my system and make the set up on subject and listen because I learned that several times the analog audio theory ( technical ) is not confirmed under listening in deep sessions due to that " analog imperfect world " we are dealing with. Btw, normally I don't question other persons opinions till I experienced those opinions or when I already had the experiences.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Csontas: If we must continue:
John, have you read this article in it's entirety yourself? It corroborates every single point I've made without fail! I'm now wondering what your motive is in participating in this discussion.
Yes I have. I read it when it was published. I understand the difference between SRA and VTA. My motive in contributing to this thread was to try and help those who obviously thought SRA and VTA were the same thing, see that they were different and had different effects. I have provided links which is more than you have. Make of them what you will.
John goron. I don't see why you should feel insulted. But I certainly have been. To suggest that those participating in this thread don't understand the terms borders on an insult to them as well. We all understand the terminology and what's clear is that you've been just playing semantics.
If everyone understood the terminology there would be no thread.

You reckon the difference between VTA and SRA is a semantic one and so adjust the height of your arm on the fly and find it sounds better. Good for you. However, some might wish to know why it is the case in order to improve their understanding.

From what you have posted anyone who knows the subject (some of the previous posters) will see that you are confused about why that is so. You are not alone Don't feel insulted.

I don't know why you are so concerned with what I have posted and why. I simply post when I feel I can contribute to what appears to be a misunderstanding or a confusion regarding vinyl replay.

I don't care what your motives are, and I will leave it there.