Are We Talking CDs And CDPs Out Of Existence?

It seems the more we join the "CD is dying camp," the more likely it is to happen. We talk at listening sessions, at club meetings, at expos, on audiophile forums, we go into our dealers just to get opinions, to hear of the trends. Sure, some of our motive is in seeking reassurance that our CD collections and expensive players are still relevant. We are also agonizing over upgrading or abandoning different pieces of gear, but it's this tone of "the end is near" that seems to be hastening the transition. Yes, you can't stop the progress of technology, but there is also the idea of preserving the essence of a hobby. We say computers and files are so much more convenient and compact--forget about convenience--it's a hobby. If it was about convenience, you'd have speakers in your ceilings and a panel on the wall, a remote in your hand, music in every room at the touch of a button, a voice command--a glorified "Clapper." And you'd have that lousy sound to go with it. This is why you have an entire wall of gear--it's a hobby. If you're brewing beer, you don't go to a liquor store just because it's more convenient. Sell the boat and get the fish from the butcher's case. No, forget cooking it, just go out and eat. What, you don't want to get up and look at your collection, don't want to saunter over and put on a new disc, you want to run the whole thing from your lap? We lost knobs to remotes--now you just want a mouse? You're going to turn over that gorgeous fifty-pound player/turntable for a tin CD-ROM? (You'll have to spend for solid state memory, or the moving parts in your computer will be inferior to those in your high-end player.) Hell, forget the computer......there's a box for that and a DAC for the box. You won't have anything to do, nothing to handle or read. I'll take my old-fashioned player with all the memories of having it upgraded several times, the satisfaction of hearing the new plateaus, the assurance of having isolated it from vibration, of building the AC cables and interconnects--all the tweaks that go with big pieces of gear that comprise this hobby............
128x128jafreeman
It is good that these computer-based products exist for those who wish to fool around with them, but I agree with you that many people enjoy the act of going over to the media rack, flipping through the various selections, removing it from its case and placing it on the CD turntable. It's part of the experience, IMO.

But I can appreciate the other side as well. I was at an audio shop and saw someone demoing an Aurender server that was linked to an I-pad interface, and I understand how some might connect with that process as well. Plus, it sounded great too. although I didn't get into any actual comparisons.

I guess it's best to say that there's room for everything and the main thing is that companies don't stop making things that produce very good music in the home. I see no sign of that stopping.
I bet I'm not the only guy that did this, but when records disappeared, I sold my SOTA Cosmos with an SME 5 arm and Koetsu cartridge for next to nothing. If CD's disappear, this time around I'll be a buyer of a knock your socks off CDP.
Agonizing over? I'll agonize over cancer diagnosis or loss of loved one, but over audio gear or any other consumer good? Nah.
Computer audio is here to stay and will steadily become more user friendly in terms of implementing a home system. Currently people still experience glitches and bugs too often and there's no standardization amongst the many products available. This will be eventually settled. I just don't see Redbook disappearing at all for a long time. CDs are reliable and physical mediums, CD playback is very simple and straightforward, the glitch factor is very low. In a good player CDs sound wonderful and there are "TONS" of musuc available in the Redbook format many can be purchased at very reasonable prices. The two formats can coexist easily and will.
This topic comes up fairly regularly now. If we check the archives we will find me stating a similar sentiment as the op. That was a few years ago.
At this point though, it's been a while since I stood in front of the wall of cds or listened to a cd. Not something I miss in the least. Much simpler to browse my ipone or ipod touch to find the music on the Mac Mini.
Fifteen years ago or so I sold most of my lps and haven't regretted that move. This time I'll not be selling the cds as I want to keep the music I paid for and have ripped to the computer. Plus, they don't take up as much space as the lps did. I will buy cds as long as they are available as ripping them is a snap. What I probably will never buy is a replacement for my cdp, should it die.
As far as this being a hobby, I agree. But for me the hobby is more about listening than touching a disc. I say enjoy the hobby no matter where it leads.