B&W DM604 S2 worthy upgrade from DM603 ?

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of B&W DM604 S2 speakers and I'm not sure whether it's worth the investment or not.

My current setup is a 5.1 consisting of DM603 for front left and right, a CC6 for center and DM601 bookshelf speakers on stands for the rears. I also have a Velodyne subwoofer.

If I pick up the new DM604 S2 speakers, the configuration would be: DM604S2 for front, DM603 for rear, CC6 center, Velodyne sub. The bookshelf speakers would be repurposed elsewhere in the house since I don't have a room configuration that lends itself to upgrading to 7.1.

I could also pick up a CC6 S2, but I'm not sure just the "S2" is a big enough difference to matter over my Series 1 CC6. Opinions on this would be appreciated as well.

I've never been at all unhappy with my current configuration, and I'm wondering - will I likely notice a big enough difference to justify the upgrade?

Thanks!
smhyde
First, I don't see much benefit in having those big 603's as rear surrounds...they'll do nothing for 2-channel music listening, obviously, but even with movies or multi-channel music I don't see them making much difference given the way music and movies are mixed and the content that is distributed to the back channels with multi-channel music or movies. It's usually just ambient sounds, environmental sounds, which will gain very little in going from the 601 to the 603. And do you have a large enough room that it won't look awkward having large tower surrounds?

So the question becomes, how much difference between the 603 and the 604S2 - the main functional difference being the extra woofer. You already have a decent subwoofer, so it's not as if you're desperate for low end help (or you shouldn't be). Is the issue that when you listen to 2-channel music, you just don't like the balance presented from the 603's and you want more low-end presence? Unless this upgrade costs you very little, and the 604S2 are being dumped in your lap for a song, I don't see this changing your system all that much. Again, unless you don't like the way the 603 present 2 channel music, but you indicated you're not unhappy now.

What I don't know is whether the tweeter advancements between the series 1 600's and series 2 were such that you'd do this just for the tweeter change, if there even were many enhancements between series.

This may be an upgrade just for the sake of upgrading and curiosity - I don't know that it'll change your music all that much. Maybe someone who's experienced both series of the 600's can chime in...
long time back I used to own these speakers & wrote a review over on AudioAsylum http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=126156&highlight=DM604S2+review+Bombaywalla&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3DDM604S2%2Breview%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3DBombaywalla%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26sort%3Ddate%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3DALL

With the electronics I had, I liked this speaker for the money that I paid for it. It's certainly not the best speaker & certainly not the ideal speaker but, like I said, pretty good for the money. Eventually, I sold the pair in favour of a time-coherent speaker & never looked back. I enjoyed my time with the DM604S2.
Hope that this helps.
Thanks for the replies! Unless someone chimes in with something that changes my mind, I think I'll save my money for some other toy!

I'm not as critical of quality as I suspect some of the folks on Audiogon are. I've spent a relatively small amount of money getting a relatively good surround sound system and I'm happy with it. I just realized my Velodyne subwoofer is 17 years old and still going strong, which means my B&Ws are about the same age. If I haven't found a need to upgrade in 17 years, I don't see any reason to do it now, especially for a "slight difference". No need to fix what isn't broken!
First, I don't see much benefit in having those big 603's as rear surrounds...they'll do nothing for 2-channel music listening, obviously, but even with movies or multi-channel music I don't see them making much difference given the way music and movies are mixed and the content that is distributed to the back channels with multi-channel music or movies. It's usually just ambient sounds, environmental sounds, which will gain very little in going from the 601 to the 603.
This was true years ago, however today all channels are discrete, uncompressed, and full bandwidth. A sound may move through the room in anyway imaginable, or be fixed at any place in the room, therefore any two or more speakers may be used to create the sound. Take a look at this picture. Obviously, that jet would sound the same using identical speakers for the front and rear, however using very small rear speakers compared to the front will result in that 747 jet on the front sounding like a much smaller aircraft on the rear. Ideally the best home theater would have identical speakers all the way around, however this is usually not practical without a dedicated room. Take a look a this article, especially the last line. Obviously, action movies will benefit the most from the upgrade, and IMHO, there will be much more than a "slight difference".
So the question becomes, how much difference between the 603 and the 604S2 - the main functional difference being the extra woofer.
Actually, more than just a extra woofer. Series 2 improvements over Series 1 include the following,

1) Redesigned woofers for a much stiffer cone.

2) Redesigned midrange with added phase plug.

3) Redesigned tweeter with Nautilus technology. This also applies to the CC6 S2.

Again, IMHO, there will be more than a "slight difference" between your DM603 and the DM604 S2.

So yes, I recommend the upgrade, but only at a reasonable price, and maybe negotiate to take the CC6 S2 for a better deal.
Hmmm. Now I'm thinking again. What would you say is a "reasonable price" or are we supposed to talk money in the forum? $400/pr, $600/pr, $800/pr? Rather than really asking what they are worth, what I have to determine is - how cheap do I need to get them in order to not be disappointed that I spent the money. Even $800 wouldn't break my bank, but I'd hate to waste it when I could spend it on something else that would make me happier.

And even though I don't have a room that would lend itself to 7.1, I can easily put the DM601 towers in the rear without them looking out of place, so aesthetics is not really a concern.