B&W DM604 S2 worthy upgrade from DM603 ?

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of B&W DM604 S2 speakers and I'm not sure whether it's worth the investment or not.

My current setup is a 5.1 consisting of DM603 for front left and right, a CC6 for center and DM601 bookshelf speakers on stands for the rears. I also have a Velodyne subwoofer.

If I pick up the new DM604 S2 speakers, the configuration would be: DM604S2 for front, DM603 for rear, CC6 center, Velodyne sub. The bookshelf speakers would be repurposed elsewhere in the house since I don't have a room configuration that lends itself to upgrading to 7.1.

I could also pick up a CC6 S2, but I'm not sure just the "S2" is a big enough difference to matter over my Series 1 CC6. Opinions on this would be appreciated as well.

I've never been at all unhappy with my current configuration, and I'm wondering - will I likely notice a big enough difference to justify the upgrade?

Thanks!
smhyde

Showing 2 responses by bombaywalla

long time back I used to own these speakers & wrote a review over on AudioAsylum http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=126156&highlight=DM604S2+review+Bombaywalla&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3DDM604S2%2Breview%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3DBombaywalla%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26sort%3Ddate%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3DALL

With the electronics I had, I liked this speaker for the money that I paid for it. It's certainly not the best speaker & certainly not the ideal speaker but, like I said, pretty good for the money. Eventually, I sold the pair in favour of a time-coherent speaker & never looked back. I enjoyed my time with the DM604S2.
Hope that this helps.
Smhyde,
Tls49 has been very helpful here re. info & pricing. I just wanted to add my 2 cents re. pricing: I bought my DM604S2 back in 2001 brand new from the retail store for less than $800/speaker. They always went for a discount. I.E. the street price for brand new speakers was always less than $1600/pair. I believe I paid something like $1400/pair. Today we are in 2014, 13 years later. if you can help it, I would say that you should pay less than $600/pair today after 13 years & a little bit of rust on the bolts holding the drivers in the cabinet.
Given the info provided by Tls49, I agree that the DM604S2 would be a very nice upgrade for you for (hopefully) not too much money.
Of course, my opinion, FWIW. thanks.