Talkin' 'bout my De Capo's

Hey, Gang,
I am not shilling for Reference 3A here. I just want to share my happiness with my Reference 3A De Capo's. Mine came as the De Capo i/A: they have the cherry veneer cabinets and the main driver has the Surreal Acoustic Lens. I later installed the beryllium tweeter so, minus the Nextel finish, they are now the equivalent of the currently shipping De Capo BE.
As was the case with the Dulcets I owned before moving up the line, I am regularly struck by just how fine they really are. I've been promising myself to write a full review (as I did for the Dulcets) but just haven't had the time. But if you're considering spending around $3000 on a pair of stand mount speakers, these are really worth considering. I enjoy mine immensely.
rebbi
So, the other day I went to a wonderful local audio dealer to audition the Harbeth 7es3 and SHL5's. They were hooked up to a Line Magnetic 501 integrated, with an LM cd player and several turntables, including Well Tempered.

This dealer was perfect inasmuch as he never tried to sell me on any one thing, instead listening along with me through my selections and engaging in inspiring and evocative discussion between tracks.

The SHL5's were first. They were startlingly warm and transparent (as promised by just about every review) - the highs and mids shimmered and the nuances in cd's and lp's from Anne Hills, Jean-Luc Ponty, Nick Drake, the Yellowjackets, Josh Rouse, and The National came through. I did indeed hear parts of the music I hadn't really noticed before. Cymbal hits were beautifully clear; guitar strings vibrated and quavered; keys and piano swelled and enveloped me in a thin sonic embrace.

Next up were the smaller but punchier 7es3's. These were more rock-oriented speakers; their bass deeper and heavier without being swampy; heir mids more pronounced; heir presence less ethereal than the SHL5's. A delightful monitor.

And when I got home that evening, I mixed a drink and played some of the same recordings through my de Capo i's Driven by an LSA Statement integrated in which I tube rolled Amperex 7308's in the input stage, and fed by a Rotel 1072 cd and, admittedly the weak link, a Pro-Ject 5.1SE tt (but I'm new at vinyl and didn't want to invest too much at first in case I didn't take to it), the de Capo's proved simply they were the better monitor.

Maybe it's the superior performance of the LSA, one of the better integrated out there, but the de Capo's presented the music better. They weren't as transparent as the SHL5's, but they conveyed the music with more authority and personality. Drums were fantastically real in a way that neither Harbeth could do; and Stanley Clark's bass on the Rites of String cd was much more focused and visceral.

I had been toying with selling my de Capo's and getting a pair of Harbeths, but that's no longer a thought. The de Capo's are here to stay, with the only change being the beryllium tweeter when i'm financially ready to do so.

cheers,

s
Glad you are enjoying yours, Simao. Harbeth has a large and loyal following so that's quite a testimonial.
I ordered my BE tweeters last week from Tash and they'll ship out tomorrow. I'll likely hit up one of you for guidance and advice on how to install them if that's okay?