Use Your Own Ears

I've been an audiophile for 20+ years and have owned everything from Klipsch to Wilson Audio. My most recent system consisted of Densen electronics and Wilson Audio Sashas. Despite having what is considered a good set-up, something was wrong and I couldn't put my finger on it. I recently decided to get a new modest system to utilize with my television. I purchased a Peachtree Audio 220 amp and Nova preamp, NAD 565bee CD Player, and Revel F52 speakers. To my surprise and delight I enjoy the Revel system more than any other system I've owned. I've listened to many speakers over the years,Rockport, older Magico's,just to name a few and have always stayed with Wilson...until now! Despite what I've been told, there is something about the Revels that makes me just enjoy listening to music. My point is to help everyone and tell all of you to just trust your own ears. Forget price! I submit the other system does somethings better; however I enjoy music more on the modest system and now I truly understand what this hobby is all about. It's not the price we pay for equipment, but the music! How stupid have I been...for the first time I'm listening to music and not the equipment!
ricred1
I learned a while back when I thought I wanted the most accurate/detailed system (because I wanted to hear it if it was there). Turns out I spent more time listening to individual instruments and vocals saying wow that guitar/horn/drum etc sounds so real. With that I didn't hear the music. Only single instruments/vocals. Very sterile sounding when adding the music. No pRat. So I have to agree 100% with the title to this thread - USE YOUR EARS!! Decide if that is what I could listen to for a lifetime.
"It's not the price we pay for equipment, it's the music!" Amen to that. It seems I've increasingly seen that idea come home to roost time and again in my 40 years in this hobby. It's now beginning to strike me as fairly commonplace that people can enter into the fray at some moderate level of expenditure and, at some point after a while, can begin to feel that urge to do something more - that they feel like they're missing something, but they're not sure what. And I think for most of us it seems like it would then be the most natural assumption in the world to make from there - that, having already spent "X" amount, it would then almost certainly sound better if you spent more, which as we all know, can so often be quite true. But, surprisingly enough, just as often in this hobby you can actually spend less and wind up with more...! It may take time enough for us to realize that truth, but, in the end, I sometimes wonder if those of us who do, just may be the luckiest of all. I do believe it's likely worth running the risk of offending a friend, to be able to change their way of looking at things, sometimes. There is always what we are willing to settle for as 'satisfying' and our own level of complacency, as well...and (just like Nonoise and Rx8man say) sometimes a jolt to all that can be a good thing...! Use your own ears, indeed.
"and have owned everything from Klipsch to Wilson Audio"

You make it sound as though one is chopped liver and the other is prime rib.

I have heard a few Wilson speakers and owned one. There are Klipsch models I would take over some Wilsons on any given day.

Shakey
I'm glad you're happy!

Imagine if for a whole year every meal you had was at a Michelin 2 or 3 star restaurant. The food (and wine) would be truly amazing! But how far into the year would you start having cravings for meatloaf and gravy soaked mashed potatoes served with beer?

There's comfort food and there's comfort audio. Knowing what you really like is the key to long term satisfaction.
Is it possible that the room the new system is in is better? I've heard very modest systems in very good rooms sound remarkable. I've also heard the opposite more times than you can imagine.