So sub or not to sub

A simple question:

Is adding a sub to an already-good two -channel system a sellout of sorts? My de Capo monitors are wonderfully kaleidoscopic, yet when I throw my ancient Velodyne CH-8 into the mix, I DO get that lower presence that the monitors just can't deliver.

I feel like I'm cheating, though. Like getting a truck with an automatic transition.

Thoughts on adding a sub?

s
128x128simao
Its all relative...depending upon room size...some monitors can deliver in large settings...others can benefit with the addition of some low end...I wouldn't consider it cheating...its hard to get everything one desires in one product(even so called full range speakers)...unless money is no object...also depends on your listening material...bass driven electronica, reggae, even some rock can use the extra oomph down low...but if your happy with your sub...don't sweat it...if it sounds good....turn it up...haha....merry xmas!
In general the sub helps out the mid-range versus the bass. Get a cheap sub and place it in your system. Barely turn up the volume and hear how the mid-range changes. Probably clearer, less stress sounding than without it. Then you have to find a sub that can integrate with your system, that is the hard part.

Happy Listening.
I'm a believer and use subs in my main system, but I used to own deCapos and I don't think that they're particularly well suited to mate with subs. The deCapo's top end is gently rolled and provides a really good octave to octave balance when used full range. So good, IME, that you don't really notice the roll-off.... until you add subwoofers.

Having spent a fair bit of time with just such a set-up, I could never get a satisfying balance from a deCapo/subwoofer system.

Just one more data point for you.

Marty

PS If you do want a full-range system, there are excellent, modestly priced mains that work well with subs - provided you get the proper set-up down. IME, that's much easier with bass management software like Audyssey. Bottom line: I love subs but I think they're best utilized in a system designed to integrate subs from the get-go. Simply adding a sub to an existing system may work out well, but IME that's hard to feel confident about before the fact.
Get a used REL if you are cost sensitive (or even if you're not) as they leave your main speakers unmolested yet enhanced, not unlike my cousin Shirley. You don't need the greasy digital fingers of "bass management" wrapped around the throat of your lower mids and bass to get great sound as you should simply pay attention to sub placement, the sub's frequency range, and level. Note that a good sub "charges" the listening room with the warmth of ambient and instrumental lower frequencies and makes everything sound more realistic, thus making the listener a better person.