JBL Metregon and Paragon

Of late I have been enamored by the look of these systems. They seem to be quite unique. All I can comment on is they look stunning, like well built pieces of furniture. Heirloom quality even.

I am sure there are those of you with experience with these. I would love to hear your impressions of these systems. What do they sound like? Are they high quality systems? Do they live up to and deliver on their wide dispersion with pinpoint imaging claims?

And if they are as good as literature makes them out to be, why don't we see others employ the same premise? Yes there are modern speakers that try to deliver the same experience through various means, why not reflector like the JBL?

Appreciate your input.

Best

Dave
corazon
Hi Dave,

According to an older bluebook I have, the D-44000 Paragon System Series I originally sold for $6000, and the Series II for $10,000. The Series I is listed as having been produced from 1964 to 1983, and the Series II from 1984 to 1986. I wouldn't take those dates as gospel, though (Viridian mentioned that the Paragon was produced as far back as 1957, which I have no reason to doubt). And I'd assume that the $6000 price of the Series I changed significantly during its long production run.

Best,
-- Al
Post removed 
Viridian,
Thought you would like to get a sense of scale. Unit is listed again, second photo in description has a scale in it.

Saw another for $42K listed now. I believe seller claims it to be the 100th made.

Best,

Dave