Philips tells industry: "Don't Mess with the CD "

See the attached Sterophile link. Phillips which holds the patents to "Redbook" standard CD technology is saying that new CDs that have copyguard and playback restriction technology are not up to Redbook standards, so cannot not be called Compact Discs and should be labeled accordingly with warnings, etc. Very interesting.
http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1247
sugarbrie
Well, it very nice to have some news from the industry to balance the Sonic Frontiers story.

And Thanks Sugarbrie for the varied and continuing advise/recommendations on classical music.

(Disclaimer: I'm clueless}

Sincerely, I remain
It truly is an amazing company, read what they have invented over the past years, most of what Sony has is from Philips...

I just went out and bought 10 philips lightbulbs...did my part !! :)
Hey there Aroc,

We might not get to choose our battles, but we can support those who’s interests coincide with our own. Lets hope the $ follow Phillips and not the loser (protectionism at any cost) companies.

I wonder if those FAT protectionist companies aren't barking up the wrong tree anyway. ...Seems to me that companies like Microsoft et competitors stand to do a lot more to effect data-transfer & media/copyright infringement issues. Look at them going after the video game market - Sony be damned!

As long as MS can successfully protect their own intellectual property they won't care what happens to the recording/music industry - unless it makes them $ to be interested. I'd say we've got a better chance of an IT company coming up with a better (data) 'standard' than the music industry.

Just another rant…
:>)
Mike